AB THROTTLE STICKING.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi guys a question for you AB gurus.

My AB throttle button sticks in the down position and allows air to continually flow, I have to physically pull it up to stop the air flow, as you can tell this can get a bit annoying and sometimes I have gotten paint-blast due to it.

I have taken the AB apart and cleaned it using the little brushes etc yet it still seems to be doing it. I wondered if there is a fault in the part that attaches from the airline to the AB-I have tried and cleaned this to see if it would un-stick it but with no luck.

Si:smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Er not sure of the make as it is Steve, it is in my shed, it is a top gravity feed one all stainless. I am knew to this AB jobbie and am trying to come to grips with it.

Not much help, sorry about that.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I think it maybe a Hansa...does that ring any bells? Double action do-da.

Like I said, new to this and have only used it for spraying large areas or areas that are not in need of loads of detail as I use brushes, sponges etc for that...but want to get used to fine detailing using an airbrush.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Just to add that I use a airbrush cleaner, cotton buds, soft tissue, small cleaning brushes etc and clean out after every use and then once a week do a strip down and deep clean...so to speak.

Am I doing something wrong? Is the cleaner wrong? Have I lost a small spring?

SI:smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sounds to me like the air valve is gummed up. remove the air hose, strip it down and give the trigger and valve a good clean. Rinse well and put back together. Take note of any springs, preferably before they fly across the room.

It's also a sign that the needle packing is not snug and paint might be running back down the needle- This can also happen when the needle is removed for cleaning. I try to keep the nozzle pointing down all the while I am cleaning.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Si, I'm not familiar with that particular brush, but usually the spring arrangement in the air valve is built into it and wouldn't be able to just fall out.

It doesn't take much to cause the action to become sticky. I would suggest giving the entire assembly (plunger, valve etc) a really good clean first. After that squirt some WD 40 down there and give it a good working. Don't worry, this won't affect your painting, I've been using it for years in my airbrushes. If you get the thing working just spray a cup of your normal cleaner through before painting again.

Cheers

Steve

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Thanks for that Ian, think this weekend I will strip it down again and have a good look and clean again.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Cheers Steve, will do that, thanks guys, hopefully I can get the thing up and running.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
My H & S airbrush done the same thing. With mine, an O ring in the air valve had swollen. So with this replaced all was well again.

Colin M..

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
My H & S airbrush done the same thing. With mine, an O ring in the air valve had swollen. So with this replaced all was well again.Colin M..
That's definitely something else to check if a good clean and lube doesn't sort it. I would guess that your mechanism will have an 'o' ring in there somewhere :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Interesting, something else to check, thank you.