Acadamy BF109 G6 - First Build..

M

Magicadey

prob not. tried priming some little bits on sprue. was very overpowering.. couldnt control it very well and found it easier in airbrush. will try my other model straight from can..

M

Magicadey

ok it has been a while!! I have just bought a new H&S ultra airbrush but having problems getting good free hand mottles and lines without splatter and spider effects. i have tried many pressures and paint consistencies. some times I tried using some holes cut into card. the wings were fine to do, it is just the side.. anywhere here are some pics..is there any other techniques

I might even just go for some winter camo and just white wash most of the crap bits out. Ideas?

View attachment 85530

View attachment 85531

View attachment 85532

View attachment 85533

View attachment 85534

View attachment 85535

IMG-20140717-00002.jpg

IMG-20140717-00003.jpg

IMG-20140717-00004.jpg

IMG-20140717-00005.jpg

IMG-20140717-00006.jpg

IMG-20140717-00001.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looks good, it could be the heat that is drying the paint, in really warm weather I have noticed that my AB doesn't work as well.

Si:smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great job for your first plane build,Adrian, its turned out well, ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice first aeroplane Adrian. Good on you for attempting the mottle, it's something myself and many others have avoided, but with anything else I guess practice makes you better at applying it. I think if you thickened the size of the mottles up a bit you would have an effective scheme. The build itself is very clean and tidy, nice work.

D

Deleted member 3568

Yes nice tidy build I would be happy with that as my first build keep it up you obviously have some modeling skills there you now just have to hone them good job. I personally wouldn't attempt the mottle pattern so good on you for trying.

M

Magicadey

thanks. i was getting a lot of splattery overspray. i thinned down and they were a lot better. the mask with cardboard seemed better. just have to get used to new airbrush.. i have a spitfire xvi for my next aircraft. at least that will be easier to paint..

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Adrian, I spray quite a few of mottled camouflage schemes. They are amongst the most varied 'paint jobs' you can attempt. I certainly take my hat off to you for having a swing at one first up. I think you've done very well.

The trick really is that there isn't one! Once you get your airbrush working well with your combination of airbrush, paint and pressure use it to spray everything. There is no easy or trite reply that I or anyone else can give you to achieve this. My one advice would be to up your pressure. A lot of modellers seem to spray at pressures lower than those at which many airbrushes work properly. Have a go at 35 psi and don't be scared to up it a bit and see how it goes. After that you'll just have to fiddle with your thinning ratios and then practice, practice and practice a bit more.

Always remember that these varied Luftwaffe schemes, mottles, botches, squiggles etc were applied by humans using spray guns. To keep in scale try to envisage how far they could reach. Also, many of them, particularly late in the war, might not be very skilled sprayers and hence achieve less than perfect results.

This one is early and was a fairly neat job:

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Magicadey

ill try higher psi. for the mottles i thin i went to 12-15!!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I like this, and to be honest it is far better than I could do regarding planes...struggle like mad.

Good job, as previous advice, practice, practice with your AB will mean you will get more comfortable in using it.

Si:smiling3:

D

dubster72

I think you've done a really decent job on it Adrian, these little planes are a steep learning curve as I'm finding out myself!

Cheers

Patrick

M

Magicadey

thanks. will get it finished this week then start on my flak gun..