Academy 1/35 M47 Patton....'Republic of Korea Marine Corps.'

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'd like to join in please Bob, so here is my entry for your G.B. build.

If possible, I like to go off on a tangent and hunt down something a bit different, so....

....and I thought my Tamiya Chieftain Tank in the Berlin Brigade Cammo was a handful, but this is just superb - Even the track edges and suspension are painted in pretty colours!

Bring it on!

P1160670.JPG

P1160672.JPG

Cheers,

Ron

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice Ron,should be a good build for you,;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks, Monica and Patrick.

Yes indeed Patrick. Swirly colours - luvverly!

I would presume the wacky cammo would be for charging about through the shoreline sand and greenery......Plenty of scope for a bit of a diorama perhaps?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks very interesting Ron , love the crazy colours and youve got to love the HUGE spotlight on the barrel , i wouldnt like to be caught in the beam of that!! cheers tony

B

Builder

Looks a great kit Ron. Always interested to see what you come up with, are we going to get a destroyed abandoned version or a diorama or a clean build, just great to see what the final outcome is!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looks a great kit Ron. Always interested to see what you come up with, are we going to get a destroyed abandoned version or a diorama or a clean build, just great to see what the final outcome is!

Thanks Bob, I want to try and crack that great paint scheme first, so it will be a clean, stand alone build to start with, then I'll wait and see what ideas I come up with for a base. If I balls up the paintwork, then it'll be a wreck for sure!!

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've made a start with this and done the repetitive bit of tank building - The lower hull work.

Wheels suitably butchered, wire brushed and loose fitted.

P1160675.JPG

Cheers,
Ron

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks really interesting. So, how are you going to tackle the camo?

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
You have my interest, so I'll be watching.......o_O

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone.

Colin, to best answer your question, It's easier post a few pictures, although I did do an in depth version way back in 2012...

This is all brush painted using a small flat headed brush. How you airbrushers would paint it I wouldn't have a clue. I wouldn't want to try either!
The golden rule with this sort of painting is always paint the lightest colour first.

I left all the add-ons off to make it easier to paint, then painted the whole thing matt white.
Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 002.jpg

Then with a pencil, I outlined the 'boxes' and colour coded them (BL-Blue) and so on.
Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 001.jpg

The next lightest colour was the blue. this is the first thinned coat to get a feel for the job, and to make sure I'd painted the right boxes the right colour!
Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 003.jpg

Final coat of blue. Then the dark colour last (Which I remember, I did in one coat) Still the bits to stick on.
Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 004.jpg

The final model with everything glued on, then painted whatever colour crossed over them. Finally decals added.
P1160676.JPG

A bit of a quicky 'How To.', but I hope it goes some way to answering your question.

I will use this same basic method on the Patton - but squiggles!

Cheers,

Ron

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Thanks everyone.

Colin, to best answer your question, It's easier post a few pictures, although I did do an in depth version way back in 2012...

This is all brush painted using a small flat headed brush. How you airbrushers would paint it I wouldn't have a clue. I wouldn't want to try either!
The golden rule with this sort of painting is always paint the lightest colour first.

I left all the add-ons off to make it easier to paint, then painted the whole thing matt white.
View attachment 274633

Then with a pencil, I outlined the 'boxes' and colour coded them (BL-Blue) and so on.
View attachment 274634

The next lightest colour was the blue. this is the first thinned coat to get a feel for the job, and to make sure I'd painted the right boxes the right colour!
View attachment 274635

Final coat of blue. Then the dark colour last (Which I remember, I did in one coat) Still the bits to stick on.
View attachment 274636

The final model with everything glued on, then painted whatever colour crossed over them. Finally decals added.
View attachment 274637

A bit of a quicky 'How To.', but I hope it goes some way to answering your question.

I will use this same basic method on the Patton - but squiggles!

Cheers,

Ron

I really like this Ron really I do and the camo pattern I don't understand ( is it more deflection for the identification ( not sure ) all in all though I really do love the colour and the camo
Great builds as always from you

Kind regards

Robert

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Robert, I'm not sure which pattern you refer to. If it's the Chieftain, and being stationed in Berlin, it was supposed to blend in with it's urban environment. Rather like the disruptive pattern on WWI and II warships.

Can't answer if it's the wacky R.O.K. one!

Right, I gone as far as I need with the build. I've left all the fiddly bits off to make the painting of the cammo pattern a bit easier. A bit more cleaning up to do......

The front of the fenders were square. The instructions have you round them as I have done. Bit of a ball ache as the plastic was very thick.
P1160678.JPG

P1160679.JPG

Cheer,
Ron

First Name
colin
Nice Berlin brigade chieftain Ron.
The Korean camo is a version of the U.S Mid European Disruptive Camouflage Pattern

T

Trekkie_John

Oh no, Ron's going "Pimp my Tank" again hehehe. Looking good Captain, can't wait for more updates.

Have fun, John