Academy 1/48 F-15E

T

T. van Vuuren

I have been working on the cockpit and nose section of the F-15E and sofar it has gone Ok'ish. There is alot of detail to paint or make to have a little less of an empty look to the office!

The parts fit is not bad , will have to see lateron if this is so on other sectons.

The problem is that the eyes seem to be going downhill on these fine little things, just hope I pass my next flight medical LOL

Will post a pic later.

Theuns

B

bikerbart

Looking the business Thenus, some fab detailing in there, very nice, regards Martin :smiling:

C

Caledonia

Hi Theuns, your off to a flying start there. Having built the Tamiya 1/48 F-15C I look forward to following your progress. I've never made an Academy kit so it will be doubly interesting. Cheers Derek

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx

I have installed the office into the nose section ant will be making a HUD to go with it.

T

T

T. van Vuuren

Only saw the spot on the rear of the front ejection rail I missed with the paint (oops)

T

F

Fenlander

Coming on nicely Theuns. Great to see detail being painted in rather than the reliance of photo etch, sadly something I have relied on far too much.

T

T. van Vuuren

I am building it for a "no aftermarket" thread on an american forum, so no fancy things allowed LOL.

T

T

T. van Vuuren

I test fited the large fuselarge top and bottom ,the fit is rather poor and will be "interesting" to say the least.Pitty, I had high hopes for the plane.Usually Academy has good fit............

Theuns

B

bikerbart

Thats a shame when this happens mate, im sure you will make it good though bud, keep at it, regards Martin :smiling:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Bummer.

I have found that sometimes deep molded parts can close up making it hard to fit. I normally just glue the one side and let it cure, the do the other side later. Much easier than trying to get the whole lot to sit right in one go.

I hope it works out for you.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

\ said:
I test fited the large fuselarge top and bottom ,the fit is rather poor and will be "interesting" to say the least.Pitty, I had high hopes for the plane.Usually Academy has good fit............Theuns
Hi Theuns, I know I keep promoting Plastic Weld (liquid cement) in a number of my postings (don't have any financial interest in it - honestly), but either this or Tamiya liquid cement is a god send for your problem. My Tamiya F-15C was very thin around the underside of the cockpit area, hence it flexed a lot. Liquid cement lets you line up say 1 to 3cm of one seam and cement it whilst holding it in position. It dries almost instantly. You then move onto the adjoining 1 to 3cm and do the same until you have worked your way around the whole seam. Since I used Plastic Weld I have never used a clamp on any of my models. Don't give up, Cheers Derek

P.s. the air intakes will be another area liquid cement will be a great help if its anything like my Tamiya.

Last edited:
T

T. van Vuuren

Ok, to dat I have the nose section on,shaped and blended in.The Intakes are on and mostly blended, and the wing are on.They will require some seam filling but not to bad.

I must sat that this in my opinion os one of those Academy kits I don't like.Pitty I am a bit Academy fan and have enjoyed most ,if not all their kits I got.

Hopefully the 1/48 F-86f Saber and the P-40 (in SAAF desert collours !) will be better.

Theuns