Academy 1/72 P47 Razorback completed

D

Doug Hughes

This is my third completion since my recent return to modelling. It's out-of-the-box, except for:

- replacing the guns with the Master brass versions

- adding the P38-type drop tanks from an Academy erm... P38!

- shaving about 1.5 off the main undercarriage legs to make it 'sit' a bit more realistically

All paints are Vallejo with the exception of the red which is Tamiya. I pre-shaded and added a bit of scuffing here and there, and picked out the panel lines with Flory 'Dark Dirt'.

With hindsight, I wish I'd replaced the over-thick undercarriage doors (shouldn't have been too difficult), and in particular, gone for aftermarket transfers. The kit ones were out of register and very thick - all adding up to a bit of a nightmare with gallons of Microsol and a lot of touching up of the checkerboards and the large white numbers. Some silvering is also visible, but that might be down to my inadequate gloss varnishing (I've since purchased some Humbrol Clear to see if that's any easier to work with than the Vallejo).

So... some new things tried out, and several lessons learned. Overall I'm fairly pleased, though.

View attachment 82476

View attachment 82477

View attachment 82478

View attachment 82479

View attachment 82480

IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_3175.JPG

IMG_3176.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

D

dubster72

I like that a lot Doug! I've always liked the Thud - it looks like it shouldn't fly well, but it does.

Your perseverance with the decals certainly paid off.

Top job!

Cheers

Patrick

P

Polux

Excellent model Doug ;)

For me, the paint work is magnificent.

Cheers

Polux

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
superb build Doug, looks good, well done

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Pleased you should be fantastic work on the p47 nicely put together and great paintwork n decals pride of place on anyone's shelf top job well done cheers John

First Name
Mike
That is really nice... Everything's properly aligned, and a well executed paint job.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks great Doug , the paint job and decalling are fantastic . Its a nice build isnt it , Ive done the bubble top version and really enjoyed it , I prefer the look of the razorback though , it looks more rugged somehow! Cheers tony

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Very nice Doug I'm not a fan of American military vehicles but that does look cool

Very well made and painted top job :smiling3:

S

spongtastic

Can't see anything wrong with that one. How did you get on with the brass? I'm looking at some 20mm guns.

D

Doug Hughes

Thanks Ian. Brass was fine, just a bit tricky as I had to remove the other guns, then drill the new openings out. Getting all that straight was the hardest bit. Also getting them all lined up would take time, so I couldn't just superglue them in. In the end I 'tacked' them in with UHU (or PVA - I forget), then ran a bit of liquid superglue around when everything was lined up. Using plastic rod would probably have looked just as good in this scale, and would certainly have been easier!