Advice needed

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
View attachment 68126

View attachment 68127

This is the base I've made so far for a it's my first so I'd like some advice on how to do one or two things but if anyone see's something I could improve on please feel free to say.
The opening to the field what's the best way to give a look of tyre tracks from a heavy vehicle ?

The river ! I've tried to give it a look of fast moving but I'm not entirly sure I've got that right ,

View attachment 68128

View attachment 68129

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Have you used paint or sealant on the river? I use clear sealant and the back of the teaspoon technique to crate the waves or peaks. Another method to draw the eye to think it is fast flowing is to add a rock or two, slightly protruding, then add a small amount of sealant around it in a v-shape, add white speckling, also add some sealant in a swirl pattern near the bank this will create the effect of 'eddies', you could also try getting an old paint brush, paint the bristles in green or beige, once dry cut the bristles off-use a dab of sealant and bush the bristles in to create a reed effect on the edges of the bank, angle slightly to show the flow of the river. All these techniques fool the eye.

As for the tyre tracks nothing better than using a rubber tyre from a tractor etc, you could add thick paint to the gate area and then impress the tyre into it. Or build up the area with milliput or the like and use that to layer around the entrance, use the tyres to push into the milliput leave to set and then paint. You could also try using the edge of a teaspoon to create the ridges of a tyre, offset the pattern. Just to add create a little lip at the entrance edges where the tyres have pushed the soil/mud out of the way.

Good dio, I like it.

Si:smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I have used sealant for the river and used white paint for foam but I never thought about putting a rock or two in there to break the surface up thanks for that.

Also thanks for the tyre track idea I was thinking around the same lines but it finding out how to go about it

C

CDW

For wet muddy Tyre tracks I've found using quite runny poly filler and dragging my finger through it then dabbing my finger along the length of the run to get some ridges in it suite easy and effective.

You can then paint with whatever colour you decide... a satin or gloss/Matt mix makes for a nice wet look.

For a dryer look then roll the wheel (or press the track) into a stiffer mix of poly filler

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
No problems Alan. Nice tip Colin.

Si:smiling3: