Advice needed.

First Name
colin
Can somebody please give ma any advice on painting African American skin tones please. I'm at a complete loss on were to start. Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Colin

For what it's worth, these are a couple of my recent efforts:

100_1476.JPG100_2193.JPG

For both of these the skin tones were made up of a combination of Vallejo, Flat Black, Black Brown, Red Leather and Flat Flesh. I first put on a base coat of black brown, then built up the highlights by adding increasing amounts of red leather to the black brown, finishing with pure red leather on the highlights. For the extreme highlights I added a little flat flesh to the mix. To vary some of the tones on the cheeks, lips etc, I added a little Dark Red to the mix. Hair, pupils etc were done with mixes of black brown and flat black.

I did find when doing these that people seemed to have very mixed opinions about painting black skin ''He's not dark enough', 'Too dark' etc etc, so good luck!

First Name
colin
Hi Colin

For what it's worth, these are a couple of my recent efforts:

View attachment 313316View attachment 313317

For both of these the skin tones were made up of a combination of Vallejo, Flat Black, Black Brown, Red Leather and Flat Flesh. I first put on a base coat of black brown, then built up the highlights by adding increasing amounts of red leather to the black brown, finishing with pure red leather on the highlights. For the extreme highlights I added a little flat flesh to the mix. To vary some of the tones on the cheeks, lips etc, I added a little Dark Red to the mix. Hair, pupils etc were done with mixes of black brown and flat black.

I did find when doing these that people seemed to have very mixed opinions about painting black skin ''He's not dark enough', 'Too dark' etc etc, so good luck!
They look spot on to me Peter i will give it a go thanks very much