After a guillotine

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon, can anybody point me at a basic guillotine with a ruler? Need one to cut plastic card and rod to size etc

Found a few of course but very expensive

Ta bob

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Afternoon, can anybody point me at a basic guillotine with a ruler? Need one to cut plastic card and rod to size etc

Found a few of course but very expensive

Ta bob
BOb yes these guillotine with a ruler? are exspensive so why dont you do like i do just buy a big 45 degree setsqaure an just place it level with the top of your card an then run a stanley knife down the edge to be cut an you get a perfect sqaure cut an it save you a lot of money but this how i do an no probs but its jusy my opinion up to you an im just trying to save you some dosh
chris b

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I assume you’ve seen this one Bob?
Seems quite expensive unless you are going to be making hundreds of identical items….but if you are, the time saved will offset the costs. If you are only making a few copies then simple home-made jigs may be the way to go.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
BOb yes these guillotine with a ruler? are exspensive so why dont you do like i do just buy a big 45 degree setsqaure an just place it level with the top of your card an then run a stanley knife down the edge to be cut an you get a perfect sqaure cut an it save you a lot of money but this how i do an no probs but its jusy my opinion up to you an im just trying to save you some dosh
chris b
Cheers Chris
Seems quite expensive unless you are going to be making hundreds of identical items….but if you are, the time saved will offset the costs. If you are only making a few copies then simple home-made jigs may be the way to go.
Hi Tim, looks like carry on as I am, thanks

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Actually the Chopper is quite handy if I can remember to use it. I automatically cut the conventional way. Lately I had to cut same sized leg supports and the Chopper saved the day.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I bought the one Tim showed, well worth the money spent.
Use it a lot, of course If your not going to use it that much the other methods will do for small uses Bob.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks all, I am using a razor saw to cut rod for cable/hose reels and finding it difficult to get a nice square cut. Wasted a few cm of rod already lol. Was thinking a gillotine would be both quicker and neater

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not used any of these myself, but seeing them has piqued my interest. They use double bevelled single sided razor blades….so do they actually cut vertically square? I would expect a slight slope to the cut due to the shape of the blade? A single bevel blade, like a wood chisel, wouldn’t have this potential for drift. I see that NWSL actually make a true sander to square up cut stock, so are they acknowledging this problem?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I have RPToolz mitre cutter. John sells them. Very pricey but well made and accurate.
Jim
That came out after I had the US one, far better from the videos I've seen on it Jim . The angle movement is far better .

Not used any of these myself, but seeing them has piqued my interest. They use double bevelled single sided razor blades….so do they actually cut vertically square? I would expect a slight slope to the cut due to the shape of the blade? A single bevel blade, like a wood chisel, wouldn’t have this potential for drift. I see that NWSL actually make a true sander to square up cut stock, so are they acknowledging this problem?
Yes Tim they do , slightly off square when they cut. Of course the thicker the material the more pronounced it appears.
Don't know how the RP tools one fairs,but must be along the same lines .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Don’t buy that one, it’s crap. I used to own it and found it imprecise and not that well-made. After years of hardly using it because of these reasons, I came across the RP Toolz equivalent:

Cutter-1.jpg

at a model show, bought one and sold the Chopper II to some other sucker someone who probably likes it better than I did ;)

But yes, these are expensive tools. Unless you regularly find yourself cutting many pieces all to the same length, you can probably do without.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
John sells a expo hand held gillotine?? Good reviews on the Web not expensive??

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Like Jakko I had a cheap cutter before I bought the RPToolz. The cheap version was useless, too much 'wobble'. It ended up in a charity shop.
The big advantage of the RP is it's ability to cut accurate styrene rod etc , as many as needed all identical.
John is right when he says the slightly off square cut is really only apparent on bigger sections. To prevent that put the section in, cut part way through, lift the blade and turn the section and complete the cut.
It's another one of those things that you can do without but it certainly makes life easier. I wouldn't be without mine even though it doesn't get a lot of use.
Jim

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I have the RPToolz version and would say it's well worth the money.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Great tool but would not use it much

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm a cheap git and get by with a rule, a square and either a knive or a saw.
A panel scriber is good for the long cuts in thicker sheet. Just scratch it and snap it.