SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,

Some very nice touches.
Cheers Paul.

Well done John

Love the bench, great wood work.

Looks the part of a chaotic repair section trying to get the SturmTiger back into the fight.

As for the gas bottles, the welder must have had too much schnapps the night before.:rolling:

Regards

Steve H
That's kind of you Steve, yes we will go with too much schnapps .:thumb2:

Really very nice John - an excellent finish so far. Very convincing.
Thanks Peter, ..... I'm not showing the uniforms yet .:sleeping2: not convinced with the grey highlights on the black. !
superb details... for the acetylene/oxygen tubes use the soldering cables they are super easy to use/paint
Greg... Thanks, I thought the solder, although thin was too heavy, and when painted I lost all the detail. Might have a look at it again.
Thanks guys for following, a long way to go yet unfortunately, but when I get engrossed in a dio it grows. Many of you will know the feeling.:smiling2:
John.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
All those itty-bitty odds and sods look superb. Gas cylinders really look the part.
AND he can cook - what a star :smiling5:
Jim

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
Looking good is this....loads of small stuff adding weight to the presentation. Looking forward to the whole picture now.
As to black highlights on uniform, I have used 90% flat black and 10% medium flesh as a highlight shade with good effect before. It gives a warmer highlight than most greys.
Tim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
All those itty-bitty odds and sods look superb. Gas cylinders really look the part.
AND he can cook - what a star :smiling5:
Jim
Hi Jim.... Thanks for the comments, I love cooking as much as modelling and garden. How's that seagrass, have you killed those bugs ?
John.

Hi John
Looking good is this....loads of small stuff adding weight to the presentation. Looking forward to the whole picture now.
As to black highlights on uniform, I have used 90% flat black and 10% medium flesh as a highlight shade with good effect before. It gives a warmer highlight than most greys.
Tim
Tim..... Thanks, will try that. The grey , regardless how dark it was just looked wrong. Cold looking, so the medium flesh it is .:thumb2:
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I also love cooking. I find it very rewarding and relaxing. As for the seafoam - being embalmed as we speak. Still got a couple of days to go.
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dzohn, as I cook dinner am catching up here. Great finishes. Are you missing the vice handle? Maybe the chainfall has too many chains. Don't know about Europe, but in US that single chain hanging down on the right would be superfluous. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Dzohn,
Looking forward to seeing this whole lot come together. Your progress has been nothing short of stupendous!
Cheers, Rick H.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice John I just bought one of these in 1/48 scale by Tamiya this summer while in Branson

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A wonderful example of detail painting. Has it been effecting your eyesight all this close up work? Looking forward to seeing all the characters in their correct positions soon. Permission to carry on:thumb2::smiling5:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I also love cooking. I find it very rewarding and relaxing. As for the seafoam - being embalmed as we speak. Still got a couple of days to go.
Jim
Jim .... Guys still working have no idea how busy we are and all the fun we have :smiling2: .looking fwd to the photos of the seafoam.:thumb2:

Dzohn, as I cook dinner am catching up here. Great finishes. Are you missing the vice handle? Maybe the chainfall has too many chains. Don't know about Europe, but in US that single chain hanging down on the right would be superfluous. PaulE
Paul.... Well spotted, half of it snapped off. Luckily I found it, its been painted, touch of CA and it should be OK. Now the chains, we I did the gas bottles it called for chain, but I'd used the whole length. So taking your point I shall remove that right hand length and put it into stock.:thumb2:

Dzohn,
Looking forward to seeing this whole lot come together. Your progress has been nothing short of stupendous!
Cheers, Rick H.
Rick....... Wow, nice comment, thank you :smiling2::smiling2:
Very nice John I just bought one of these in 1/48 scale by Tamiya this summer while in Branson
Hi Lee.....Thanks and nice to hear from you, I will look forward to seeing that build.
A wonderful example of detail painting. Has it been effecting your eyesight all this close up work? Looking forward to seeing all the characters in their correct positions soon. Permission to carry on:thumb2::smiling5:

Steve...... Praise indeed, thanks. I have to wear the magnifier, with a 2.5 lens, and plenty of light.
The left eye has to be closed as I can't wear the patch and the headset. I do short 30 minute sessions, then find something else to do. Really getting into the detail. One question, should I now varnish the tools with gloss ,then apply a dark pin wash? What then ..... Another flat varnish coat to finish ? .
Thanks for the comments and for staying with this.
Any suggestions more than welcome.
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Personally I dont varnish the small stuff as in the main its all acrylic work. When I use oils on the handles I have never had a reaction issue. I will dry brush or graphite anything made of steel which I think you do anyhow. If you leave the dark wash on the handles to dry for about 20mins. Then gently drag a hard dry brush down the handle to get the woodgrain effect

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Personally I dont varnish the small stuff as in the main its all acrylic work. When I use oils on the handles I have never had a reaction issue. I will dry brush or graphite anything made of steel which I think you do anyhow. If you leave the dark wash on the handles to dry for about 20mins. Then gently drag a hard dry brush down the handle to get the woodgrain effect
Thanks Steve..... Yes I do dry brush the handles as you said. Think I will just apply a pinwash to the compressor, the fins were done a little to quickly and should have been a thinner wash .
JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Greetings all.
Bit of an odd day, hung up some sea grass prior to the embalming.Did some posts on here. Sat about, fell asleep ! Woke up and decided to do some painting.

Below is a selection of the figures. Taking note of Peter and Tim and highlighting tips I attempted to do the black uniforms. In fact they look far better in real life than the photos. The faces have had several coats of basic skin tone, and are coming along.I don't know about anyone else but I seem to take one step forward when painting the skin , then several back as I get spots and brush strokes of skin co;our on collars, cuffs etc.

_MG_3637.JPG_MG_3638.jpgF1.jpg_MG_3639.jpgF2.jpg_MG_3640.jpg F3.jpg_MG_3643.jpgF4.jpg_MG_3644.jpgF5.jpg

Any comments re the painting please.
John .

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi John, just had a good read trough after my absence...
Love the camo on the Sturm:tongue-out:, think you nailed it with the colours and the pattern.:thumb2:
Same goes for all the figs and workshop stuff you've been building, will turn this dio into a most interesting one.:smiling:

Can't really help you with the figures, as I'm a fig novice too.
One tip though, I paint the skin tones first just have to be really careful when painting the uniforms.:smiling4:
Keep up great work sir!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John, just had a good read trough after my absence...
Love the camo on the Sturm:tongue-out:, think you nailed it with the colours and the pattern.:thumb2:
Same goes for all the figs and workshop stuff you've been building, will turn this dio into a most interesting one.:smiling:

Can't really help you with the figures, as I'm a fig novice too.
One tip though, I paint the skin tones first just have to be really careful when painting the uniforms.:smiling4:
Keep up great work sir!

Hi Fernando....... Thank you for the kind comment.
John.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Dude 2,

You're just going crazy here John!!! The work bench is fantastic and the gen too. In fact, the whole 9 yards is A-one Sir!!! As a non figure painting person, I will have to agree to what Fernando said about doing the flesh first. The figs still look good to me though and I like how the uniform colors came out...Napping are we???

Prost
Allen

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi John,

It must be one of them days, apart from grass cutting I’ve not done much and took a lovely nap...also hung out my seagrass:thumb2:
Good start getting some paint on the figures...I always get paint where it’s not meant to be:smiling5:

I found since using a wet pallet, touching up the mistakes is quicker and easier.
Si

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
Figures are coming on well. I always paint ‘inside to out” as well, usually flesh, then shirts, then jackets, it’s easier to control overpainting that way....
Only minor touching in required though, so that’s a pretty good effort to me.
Did you ever try Vallejo flesh wash over the basic flesh colour? If you haven’t I would say these are ripe for it. They will come to life before your eyes....
Cheers
Tim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening all .
Today after tiling a small section of floor for my mate I felt full of the joys of spring. Back to the bench and did some more on the faces.
Now I have come to the end of the fine detail attempts, as many of you know me having one eye good the perceived depth is some what problematic.
This afternoon having painted several of the faces with the biggest eye brows you could imagine, i've had to call the eyebrows off and anymore face detail. although some do have some lips :flushed:, some have ended up with what might pass as something like eyebrows. :smiling2:
Not to out whitted by an annoying problem I would like to try to add a wash that will give some detail. Now the question is with what , don't say oil please, as It always seems to have bits left on the surface. Can I make up a wash with acrylic, how much water , or even indian ink !
With out anymore ado ..............
Again those of a nervous nature move along .

_MG_3645.jpg G1.jpg_MG_3646.jpg G2.jpg_MG_3647.jpg G3.jpg_MG_3648.jpg   G4.jpg_MG_3649.jpg G5.jpg_MG_3651.jpg G7.jpg_MG_3652.jpg G8.jpg
Sorry about being blurry.
Any ideas on the washes would be gratefully received, no doubt I have asked this before . !
Tim ... you mentioned a Vallejo flesh wash, is that made up or one you buy ?

Thanks for looking in .
John.