AFV 1/35 SCALE STURMTIGER.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful work on the tarp mate. Was it inspired imagination or from a reference photo?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John
Great work mate.

cheers
Ross
Thanks Ross ...

Dzohn, I think blend more black/dark gray/dark brown on the metal roof. Wouldn't the plates overlap the fastening nails/bolts? At least covered w/tar. I use wrist watch hands w/eyelets cut off for gun sights. They'd prolly be small enough for your use & the hands something to hang on to till cured.

Paul ........ Thank you for picking that question up. I was going to slip some C A under the upper sheet , then hold it down , while it takes. That should sort that part out, then I can start ons the fixings. Normally you would have one each end then approximately 3 more spaced out . These would be drilled through the two sheets just above the cover line . Some modern corrugated sheets call for mastic as well . As the fixing was done on the top of the curve there was little chance of water ingress.
Think the colours you have mentioned are right, as you say a blend. .
Thanks guys.

To day I've cleaned the cave. !!!!!! Yes you read it right, not expecting Jim to appear but it was time, as Management has been passing through and looking, To be truthful it was mess, but no more. How long it will remain is anyone's guess.
Hopefully more tomorrow if I can find anything thing.

Wonderful work on the tarp mate. Was it inspired imagination or from a reference photo?

Hi mate ......imagination really, just wanted to do a workshop dio, didn't want it too big size wise. Once I'd started it those rear doors came to mind . The roof structure and the corrugated sheets were an early idea.
When some one mentioned not being able to see the inside, the idea of the tarp came to mind easier than doing a removable roof . Of course it's a big tarp when you think about it, have no idea how big they were , but it would take some getting up .
John .

Last edited:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
The roof sheets look very nice John, like the variation in color tones a lot.:thumb2::thumb2:
Tarp is a pretty neat idea too.:smiling:
Moggel on sir!

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi John first of an apology I though I'd had already left a message but I hadn't so a big sorry for that. This is truly brilliant work it got everything and looks very real just as it would have been back then. Keep it coming sir.
One question the foam board you and Scottie are using what is it called and where do you get it from, I'm still in the dark ages and use polystyrene and plaster :smiling4: .
Pete.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John first of an apology I though I'd had already left a message but I hadn't so a big sorry for that. This is truly brilliant work it got everything and looks very real just as it would have been back then. Keep it coming sir.
One question the foam board you and Scottie are using what is it called and where do you get it from, I'm still in the dark ages and use polystyrene and plaster :smiling4: .
Pete.

Thanks for the kind comment. Pete you can get form board from Ebay and from model shops but if your want the one that the face peels off easily its stocked by a company called 4 D model shop ( Email address at bottom of page .)

/
FOAMBOARD, KAPA LINE WHITE
CATEGORIES

RECENTLY VIEWED
4981_Image.jpg
Foamboard, KAPA line white
9287_Image.jpg

FOAMBOARD, KAPA LINE WHITE

From £4.55 inc.VAT

Please select 3.0 x 500 x 700mm (RF50057) £4.55 3.0 x 700 x 1000mm (RF50038) £9.10 5.0 x 500 x 700mm (RF50058) £5.15 5.0 x 700 x 1000mm (RF50022) £10.30 10 x 700 x 1000mm (RF50039) £12.70

Quantity

PRODUCT OVERVIEW
White KAPA line foamboard.
Various sheet sizes available (see drop down box).
There are various different types of 'Kapa' brand foamboard.
Most of them differ from regular foamboard in that the paper covering can be carefully peeled off to use the soft foam layer beneath.
This foam layer can be easily inscribed, carved, sanded, embossed or generally 'broken down'.
Kapa-line is the best to use for this purpose.
See our guide to 'Creating surfaces with Kapa-line foamboard' by David Neat on our Modelmaking Guidespage.

I've tried cheaper board but removing the face covering to allow carving can be problematic, this is not the cheapest by far, but the texture is fantastic and is very close grained. Removing the outer paper face for carving is easily done with a hair dryer. I start in a corner and gradually lift and peel the paper back. To much heat will of course damage the foam Having said that. just take your time, Some times the outer face can come off first, leaving a thin less glossy section underneath. This is soon removed and if the overall temperature is right peels back quickly
The cheaper version to me is too messy, and is not the same cell structure. Gluing wise I use UHU .
Here is the address of the stockist, I of course have nothing to do with them just a happy customer.
http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Raw-Materials/
Scroll down until you see Foamboard.
HTH
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good evening campers.:smiling:
Here at Race towers a clean up has taken place, I know but sometimes a man has to do what he has.

_MG_3933.JPG
Things put away in marked drawers, feels much better, just hope I can keep it like it .( No remarks from Rabble members please. )
After this I carried on with the roof. Pewter being used for the guttering , gables and ridge. Added the second down pipe c/w with pewter brkts . The roof has had the final sheets glue on. I wanted it to look rather beaten up, the blast in the right hand side wall would have lifted half the roof off, hence the damage.
_MG_3944.JPG
The tarp is on the spray table at the moment having had another coat of green , here it can been seen to the right before it was taken away.
_MG_3939.JPG
Shot of the left hand down pipe , those sections of coffee stirrers were there to keep the pipe up while it dried. Another pewter head, wrapped around a section of plastic card with a hole drilled through to take the pipe.

Decided to strip the paper off the board and apply a thin coat of filler. This is quick drying other wise I would have use the dry wall adhesive. It will be given a light sanding then some weathering and a sign which I have just printed.

_MG_3948.JPG
All the pewter has been given a coat of MRHobby metal primer. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I should rub that down and weather showing some brick work and some cracks from the blast. Then the roof, going to have to be careful of overspray going into the workshop,and the out sides, plenty of clingfilm I think.
As usual comments please.
Thanks for staying with this, its been a longish build.
John.

Attachments

• _MG_3934.JPG
    _MG_3934.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 12

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Totally awesome dudeie!!

Not sure about sticky labels on draws. Sounds like Mrs R has been around with the feather duster while you have been paddling your feet in the fish pond!!:smiling5::smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Totally awesome dudeie!!

Not sure about sticky labels on draws. Sounds like Mrs R has been around with the feather duster while you have been paddling your feet in the fish pond!!:smiling5::smiling3:
What in this weather. You having some egg yoke !
Nar the trouble and strife is as good as gold.
Blimey! She's OK , bi' keen on bein' tidy, but now a 'appy lady. Nuff said, yeah?
Lor' luv a duck! Shabba Ranks mate nice one. Know what I mean?

weather

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I shall reply later! Gardening in the rain calls.
John.:hugging-face:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Labels beat pulling all the drawers looking for that length of chain:smiling4:. PaulE
Paul....... As you are a life member of " Where did I put that club " I thought you would appreciate this novel approach. In deed I have the bottom drawer for the odd things, and its works, if it's not in a marked up drawer it has to be in the bottom one. Simple .
Dzhon

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mr. Race Steve never cut you any slack does he but some has to keep you in line
Lee.......:smiling2: Management can keep me in line, and as you can see it works. Steve is only like that as Matron is looking for him , he is in deep trouble ! :flushed::rolling::poop::smiling::smiling:
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Oh I wish I had a man-cave John - so envious, though I don't think I'd ever keep it that tidy. The buildings are coming along superbly.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I approve - just hope the drawers are in alphabetical order, left to right and top to bottom :smiling:

Joking aside this is a wonderful piece of modelling. Roof looks great. Is that Mr Hobby metal primer water or lacquer based? Does it airbrush nicely?
Jim
Jim....... Thank you. .....Oh , didn't do that well with the labeling , sorry, but Christine's is of great approval, she thinks the time has come !
The Mr Hobby metal primer is lacquer based, I brush it on. The odour is very strong, in fact I do it with the door open , wash the brush in cellulose and call it a day. Don't think I would spray it, cleaning out would might be a problem and that strong odour a no no .

Oh I wish I had a man-cave John - so envious, though I don't think I'd ever keep it that tidy. The buildings are coming along superbly.

Peter....... Thanks for the kind comment, I'm more envious of your skills as a painter
! :smiling3:
John .

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Nice chat this morning mate. Hope you can get some more work done on this awesome build soon.:cool::thumb2::thumb2:

Reactions: JR