AFV Club sIG 33 WWII German Infantry Heavy Artillery

F

Fenlander

Well, it is ages since I had the pleasure of frequenting this forum which is wrong as this was the first forum I settled into when I returned to the hobby a few years back. Life has got in the way and I have been building loads of stuff that, frankly, I was not interested in for reviews etc. I have decided that I want to get back into modelling for the right reasons and I well remember one of Ron's old sayings 'have fun' so I have packed up what I was doing, been out and bought myself a new stash of German (not entirely German to be honest) WWII armour and, new to me, artillery. So, let the fun begin.

First up is a simply gorgeous little model from AFV Club of the heaviest Infantry artillery piece of the war, the sIG 33 15cm. This will be picture heavy as I have built this upto and including the priming so apologies for that.

The Kit.

This is the usual AFV Club quality moulding with quite a high part count for such a small piece. It comes with a small but useful photo etch fret but most needed and beautifully done, a turned aluminium barrel which is not only bored all the way through but is rifled along the whole length to. Admittedly it is a short barrel but it is simply gorgeous.

First up is the carriage and wheels with brakes.

IMG_6386 by Fen_tog, on Flickr"][/url]

All the undercarriage done it is time to make it look like a gun. A nice touch is that the gun slides side to side on the carriage as does the real thing.

Next up is the spade. This is the only part that has ejector pin marks that need to be dealt with if the spade is going to be mounted on the carriage in the towing position, I am having it as a firing piece but a bit of Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty soon sorts it out.

This is the towed position

This gun also fired a muzzle loading fin stabilised demolition charge which is well depicted in the kit

Now a coat of Vallejo Grey Acrylic Polyurethane primer

It is now ready for colour painting and weathering. Trouble is, I am not sure if to do it grey or dark yellow, although dark yellow as per box art is becoming a firm choice.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome back Graham its been too long.

A nice "little" gun that, the detail looks very good indeed.

I will look forward to seeing it "in colour"!

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Welcome back young Graham! Nice to see you back in the fold.

Gern

P

phalinmegob

i have never seen an afv club kit up close, the detail looks great on those kits. saw a few kits at telford but walked straight past as i had it in my head that they were cheap nasty kits, obviously had that wrong. doing a fine job graham.

T

treyzx10r

Graham so glad to see you back and most importantly having fun! This is a really neat subject ,really digging that finned demo charge. Looking forward to seeing the next update, its already looking great!

P

Polux

Looking good so far.

I will look forward to seeing it finished!

Cheers

Polux

F

Fenlander

\ said:
i have never seen an afv club kit up close, the detail looks great on those kits. saw a few kits at telford but walked straight past as i had it in my head that they were cheap nasty kits, obviously had that wrong. doing a fine job graham.
Ooooo nooooooo, not cheap and nasty at all, in fact they can be very expensive and (sometimes) nasty lol. No, AFV Club have made a couple of dogs but generally their kits are to dragon standards in armour. They do tend to have gimmicks like springs in the suspension of tanks and sprung loaded recoil in tank barrels but they appear to be growing out of it.

Thanks for the welcome backs guys. Nice to see you are still around 'young Dave' lol in fact it is great to see so many familiar 'faces'.

I am currently putting together the new(ish) Dragon British 25lbr with limber and crew (I am still useless at figure painting so this should be fun) so I will feature that as well, only just started it but my aim is to paint these two in tandem so they should be finished around the same time.

A

andyrobs

Hi Graham, nice to see you back. Looking good mate, and can't wait to seeit finished

Cheers, Andrew

K

Keith9657

Hi Graham. It looks very smart indeed and no need to apologise for the photos. The more the merrier as far as I am concerned.

Keith

B

backonthecase

Looking great Graham - good to see you back - I've been "out of it" for a while too, but Telford's given me the bug back!

Look forward to more of this - nearly bought one of their M1 105mm Howitzers at the weekend!

Stuart

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looking nice graham built one of these i the past they do look the part when all painted up...keep the pics coming

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
How do Graham me old china, nice to see you back matey. Looks like this is a enjoyable build, can't wait to see more.

Have fun. John

F

Fenlander

Thanks John, good to be back :abouttime: Also great to see the forum doing so well to.

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Great looking model nice detail look foreward to seeing it finished.

bazer

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
superb build graham nice to see u back and i have been in the same boat as u by the looks of it..but you have come back with a cracker look forward to seeing more

B

backonthecase

Glad you're back again graham. I've just put my first post in aaaaages up as well! Welcome back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Hi Graham, nice to see you back,

but i cannot see any pics, this photo no longer available :confused:

First Name
Richard
Hi Graham

been a while, good to see you back.