AFV Modeller, started buildingg aircraft

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Happy to share, as this forum helped me get back on track due to some great words of wisdom.

I had my process, and most importantly, I enjoyed modelling. I tried new techniques and had fun with them; I was on FB groups and how-to websites. Then I found that I kept stalling on builds because I constantly compared my work to others online. I thought it was my products; I started buying products left and right: you know what they say about bad workmen. I stopped building, or it took me months or a year to finish something. I realised what the issue was when on a 12hr flight with work to LA that my phone had more images of other people’s models than my own. On that flight, I deleted all the photos of other people’s builds and left 99% of all modelling groups. I only have an FAQ site so I can help answer questions and the model club I run.

Aircraft have saved the hobby I love so much; I still haven’t retired amour yet, but I have the new Airfix Cromwell in prep and only have reference pictures.

I hope this explains or even helps someone see that it is YOUR HOBBY and you need to enjoy every bit of it, and it is not for anyone else to tell you otherwise.
Very well said!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Bit of a rant here, sorry.....and it’s aimed squarely at the marketing arm of the hobby....
I think a major problem in this hobby is the available of ready made so called “solutions” to modelling problems....these are supposed to give you gold medal results right out of the box. Things are marketed and written up in magazines as if buying “this solution” from mig, and “that paint”, from Vallejo, followed by ”these add ons” from green stuff world (there are many other companies so insert your own) will enable you to build a world beating model “just like me”.
It’s pure fantasy. I’m sure all of these are worthy products, but they are no use to you unless they fit in with your own way of working and you are able to get decent results from them. The best modellers would still produce top quality results using much more basic tools and materials, but these products just make it faster for them.
The trouble is, the marketing hype then puts off those that do not have these learned and innate skills because the results they get don’t come out as expected. The poor modeller then either gives up, or invests even more money in the next shiny new tool or paint range that promises these results, to probably be disappointed yet again.
The best thing anyone can do is stick with good quality basic tools, paint, etc until they really understand the skills required to get the results they want. You don’t have to master those skills, just understand them. Then, and only then, look around at the esoteric ranges and pick those that you know suit your style, and can give you quicker or more consistent results.

You can guarantee that those modellers you most want to emulate look at their own work and think “I wish I could do this as well as Harry”, it’s part of human nature.

The bottom line though is have fun, and unless your aim is to win competitions (something I simply don’t understand), just satisfy yourself as best you can! Your modelling is part of your own unique voice, shout out loud and proud and sod everyone else!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Bit of a rant here, sorry.....and it’s aimed squarely at the marketing arm of the hobby....
I think a major problem in this hobby is the available of ready made so called “solutions” to modelling problems....these are supposed to give you gold medal results right out of the box. Things are marketed and written up in magazines as if buying “this solution” from mig, and “that paint”, from Vallejo, followed by ”these add ons” from green stuff world (there are many other companies so insert your own) will enable you to build a world beating model “just like me”.
It’s pure fantasy. I’m sure all of these are worthy products, but they are no use to you unless they fit in with your own way of working and you are able to get decent results from them. The best modellers would still produce top quality results using much more basic tools and materials, but these products just make it faster for them.
The trouble is, the marketing hype then puts off those that do not have these learned and innate skills because the results they get don’t come out as expected. The poor modeller then either gives up, or invests even more money in the next shiny new tool or paint range that promises these results, to probably be disappointed yet again.
The best thing anyone can do is stick with good quality basic tools, paint, etc until they really understand the skills required to get the results they want. You don’t have to master those skills, just understand them. Then, and only then, look around at the esoteric ranges and pick those that you know suit your style, and can give you quicker or more consistent results.

You can guarantee that those modellers you most want to emulate look at their own work and think “I wish I could do this as well as Harry”, it’s part of human nature.

The bottom line though is have fun, and unless your aim is to win competitions (something I simply don’t understand), just satisfy yourself as best you can! Your modelling is part of your own unique voice, shout out loud and proud and sod everyone else!
Couldn't have put it better myself.

First Name
Andy
Alexander, comparing your builds to others is a sure fire way to make you feel inferior, just build what you want the way you want, if it makes you happy then it's job done. I build to please myself although I do try to make it the model as good as I can and I know fine that compared to stuff I have seen mine pale into insignificance but it does not get to me, as the saying goes "it's my model and it makes me happy". The models you posted up look great and something to be proud of so keep doing what you are doing and have fun.

Andy.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

YEA VERY WELL SAID Tim i fully aggree this modeling is supopse to be enjoyable admitly i must say i worry abit on my tiger in case something goes wrong but that due to how much money ive spent on this ship tryin to build it but im still enjoying it when things go right
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Too true Chris. As a wise man once said (well, it was Frank Spenser) “No man that never made nothing, never made any mistakes”.....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I always liked the way he worked it through in his head after saying it...

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Happy to share, as this forum helped me get back on track due to some great words of wisdom.

I had my process, and most importantly, I enjoyed modelling. I tried new techniques and had fun with them; I was on FB groups and how-to websites. Then I found that I kept stalling on builds because I constantly compared my work to others online. I thought it was my products; I started buying products left and right: you know what they say about bad workmen. I stopped building, or it took me months or a year to finish something. I realised what the issue was when on a 12hr flight with work to LA that my phone had more images of other people’s models than my own. On that flight, I deleted all the photos of other people’s builds and left 99% of all modelling groups. I only have an FAQ site so I can help answer questions and the model club I run.

Aircraft have saved the hobby I love so much; I still haven’t retired amour yet, but I have the new Airfix Cromwell in prep and only have reference pictures.

I hope this explains or even helps someone see that it is YOUR HOBBY and you need to enjoy every bit of it, and it is not for anyone else to tell you otherwise.
I only try to compare my models to the last one I built and hope it's a bit better each time.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's a great little collection. Maybe you'll be considering a few more wingy things.