Airbrush Droplet problems

T

tecdes

Any help here would be appreciated as I have virtually run out of ideas.

Getting after about a minute airbrushing blobs of paint. Tracked that down easily to paint building on the bottom edge of the needle guard at the front.

OK I clear with a cotton bud accompanied by a few choice rustic English words. Same again on the next cycle.

So have changed needles & nozzle .2 size .Also changed size of needle & nozzle to .4 Also used both the airbrushes I have.

Cleaned the brush well top to bottom. Cleaned nozzles. Noticed that paint has been creeping up the needle.

Tried different compressor settings. 15 to 24 PSI.

Beginning to suspect the compressor (no tank) is pumping varying pressures although this is not manifested by the pressure dial. Noticed that every hour or so it tops itself up for a couple of seconds which must mean a slight loss in pressure. Have another compressor & will try that later.

Think that is all the clues I have eliminated. Just to finally say this happens with Vallejo primer paints & varnish. All using a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution series brush. Also really final that the paint film is fine until the spots. Ah Treasure Island "Jim lad" beware the black spot at the Admiral Benbow.

Laurie

C

Cooperman69

I was having a similar problem Laurie with my Badger 200.

Paint was drying very quickly on the needle tip and suffering from excess paint around the nozzle if the airbrush was left standing for a few minutes with paint in the cup.

I also had the compressor cutting in regularly to top up even though I wasn't using any air from the tank.

Traced it to the air valve on the airbrush which was leaking by. The seat which the o-ring sits on had a score line from manufacture. Replaced the valve and all appears to be well now.

Only thing is my AB is a little different to your H&S in that mine is a fixed position needle via the adjuster screw on the rear.

Get yourself a saucer of water and place the nozzle in it to see if it blows any bubbles when the air valve should be shut closed.

Atb, Colin.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Also, try a drop of retarder with the paint Laurie.

T

tecdes

Thanks Barry & Colin.

Think hope that it is solved. Tried a compressor which has a fault but I keep as a stand bye. Tried that & found that I had not realised how the present compressor had deteriorated. Comparison showed it was not working as it should be even though the pressure showed it was. Also Colin did the water dunk bit & there is a slight leak so new washers. The person I deal with for airbrush etc. told me that it is recommended that washers are replaced every year.

Did try the retarder Barry. Though that was not the problem. Made a difference. Not used the Vallejo one before. Seems a bit gloopy have you found that Barry or is mine a bit off ?

Any way thanks for both your inputs appreciated.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nope you fine, the Vallejo Retarder is pretty thick. You will need to stir it up with your thinners and paint. In fact Model color with just retarder, maybe a drop of thinner are quite good for brush painting figures with should you need an Oil paint type of paint...

Ian M

T

tecdes

Thanks Ian.

Looks as though Vallejo is quite like me. Thick & Gloopy !

Laurie

C

Cooperman69

Glad you got it sorted Laurie, and thanks for the tip on changing the washers yearly.

Unfortunately I haven't used my AB since I changed my washers as the modelling shed has become a make shift kitchen as we're having ours in the house replaced! So no modelling now for 3 weeks and food supplied by a camping stove too :smiling3:

T

tecdes

Wow Colin sounds as though you will be starving at least losing weight.

Still sounds as though the local pub could do with you. Well slum it.

Laurie

PS did not mention that water in the system seemed to be the problem. Think the compressor was not delivering as it should do getting overheated & causing moisture to build up.

Last edited: