Airbrush Health and Safety

G

General Jumbo

Hi all - I was hoping an experienced hand could help with a couple of questions I have re health and safety. Must be getting old!

1. When using an airbrush with either acrylic or enamel paint, should the user wear respiratory protection (e.g. face mask) and if so, what type is best? (want to move on from just using brushes)

2. I find Squadron Green Putty to be excellent but I am wary of the toxicity. Anybody have any advice on handling?

Thanks in advance!

GJ

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Hello General:

I use a 3M brand respirator and its been really easy to use. However, I also built a spray booth and spray into it or rather the exhaust fan to minimize risks. If its a really small part, acrylics don't bother me as much because they go on practical dry but I need a fan blowing by my side, my basement window open with air drawn in by another little fan. I find acrylics much safer to use and clean too. Check out this link:

Swanny's Models

Matt built a fume can to use with your airbrush if you don't have a spray booth for cleaning. The directions are located in the tools and tips section. Good luck!!

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
2. I find Squadron Green Putty to be excellent but I am wary of the toxicity. Anybody have any advice on handling?

Thanks in advance!

GJ

Horrible stuff!!! I agree totally but I'm now using Mr. Putty which is alcohol based. I was using Squadron but got tired of cutting it using acetone. I have a small fan running in front of my workbench to move the fumes away from me so the smell ain't that bad anymore but then again, there are fumes that can't be detected and are just as bad. I always apply putty with a tool or paint brush and never touch it with my body. S putty contains touline and its a carcinogen-not good for organic life!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

General Jumbo

Thanks for this - really appreciate the reply. I'd spied a 3M mask on a hardware store's website that looks like it will do the job - seems to be designed for vapour and paint so should be ok. 3M Maintenance-Free Respirator - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys I'll use this when I am airbrushing from now on.

I see that a lot of fellow model makers favour Milliput White for the filler option and this seems to be less toxic - some have even suggested it can be aplied using a damp finger tip.

This seems to be an overlooked subject so would be interesting to hear other views on this!

Happy painting!

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
No problem. The vapors really do get you fast.

G

General Jumbo

Thanks again for your tips. Do you think it is necessary to have a spray booth or do you think using a mask will do the job on its own?

I'm only ever likely to spray Tamiya acrylics or perhaps, Humbrol Enamels.

Thanks again!!!

T

tag

Hi mate

just my twopennyworth no you dont need a spray booth but useful even if its just a plain box lined with material to absorb overspray also some sort of turntable make it even better

But I would say a mask is essential a good one at that used by sprayers NOT just a dust mask as thant WILL NOT stop vapours and some disposable gloves some say cotten but I use cheap vinyl

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
I believe there is a rating that should be NOSH 10 which means its filtering abilities can block the vapor from organic solvents entering your lungs. A dusk mask will not work at all as its only able to block large particles such as dust and debris.

D

Dingo

Be carefull when using Tamiya paints this product contains "isopropanol and glycol ethers" chemicals that can cause shortness of breath and heart problems especially the first chemical, I did a web search on Tamiya paints as I use them as details paint with brushes and back in August I had a mild heart attack but for me luckily there was no connection but this is not to say it won't happen to anyone else so I ask all my fellow model builders out there to take extreme care when using any Tamiya paint, don't get me wrong I love coz they wash out in water but anything that contains these two chemicals can't be good for you. :emo10:

Desert Rat :chubbyche

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This will explain why large quantities of Tamiya paint, were withdrawn from the shelves of model shops a few years ago,it has taken some time to get stock back into the model chain again.

Sadly unlike artists paints which are made to stringent conditions, the ones used in model building sometimes leave a lot to be desired safety wise.

There was a huge hugh and cry as artists Flake white was under threat because of toxity problems,now only the diehards use this paint which contains large quantities of lead.

Take care of your health and select only paints which suit your purpose.