Airbrush Needle Sharpener,

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Hi, all,come across this sharpener for airbrush needles
to me its looks like a very good idea,as i do some how tend to bend needle,:tired:
so it lets you repair them and able to keep using them

https://sharpenair.com/

if not able to post plz remove,

T

Trekkie_John

Nice find Monica. Yes it's not cheap, but the way i go through needles i think it'll be worth the price.

Have fun, John

J

Jens Andrée

I'm the super careful type when it comes to my airbrushes so no needle consumption for me but I can see this being a real cost saver for those who suffer bent needles every now and then...
Back in the old days I used to straighten the needles of my paint gun (for painting cars) by rolling the tips on a stainless welding table but those needles were thicker and could take the odd minor bend and back again.

The cheapest option must be to invest in a descent airbrush stand and be careful :tongue-out3:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Interesting, but it isn't cheap!

Pete
Nice find Monica. Yes it's not cheap, but the way i go through needles i think it'll be worth the price.

Have fun, John
I'm the super careful type when it comes to my airbrushes so no needle consumption for me but I can see this being a real cost saver for those who suffer bent needles every now and then...
Back in the old days I used to straighten the needles of my paint gun (for painting cars) by rolling the tips on a stainless welding table but those needles were thicker and could take the odd minor bend and back again.

The cheapest option must be to invest in a descent airbrush stand and be careful :tongue-out3:

its not a cheap item,need to look into it a bit more to see if it will do the ,cheap copy needles,as thats what i have,
and i would have around 5 or so bent ones,
i have tried to drag the needle down cardboard,and as you do turn it, did get a little of the bend out,and a few
other things ,i have seen on youtube,
i do think it may be worth a try,some think else to put on the need list, :hungry:

T

Trekkie_John

Not just me then! I have some cheap needles too (think most of us have hehe). I did bend the tip doin' the King Tiger last year and found if i put the needle in a drill and a sharpening stone in a rotary tool it re-sharpened it, then just good old polish. In fact it was better than before the happy little accident (or in my case, bull in a china shop moment).

John

J

Jens Andrée

Just a question - how do you manage to bend your needles?
Do you have an airbrush where the needle sticks out and nothing to protect it?

On my Ultra there's a small ring just outside the tip of the needle to protect it and on the Infinity there's two bit sticking out on each side of the needle tip for protection and I'm going to have to be very careless to bend one of those needles... I have seen airbrushes where the needle is totally unprotected but surely there must be some sort of front bit you can put on it like all H&S airbrushes?

Every time I clean my airbrush (which is every time I use it!) I do a full teardown and I always stick the needle into a bog roll so I know where it sits, with no risk of getting damaged on the desk or worse end up in my hand.
That way there's no risk of damaging it.

T

Trekkie_John

My bad Jens, when i take the needle cap/cover off to do fine work i sometimes (always) forget when placing it in the airbrush stand.

John

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes, it's easy to stab the tip into the stand of the cleaning jar.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Just a question - how do you manage to bend your needles?
Do you have an airbrush where the needle sticks out and nothing to protect it?

On my Ultra there's a small ring just outside the tip of the needle to protect it and on the Infinity there's two bit sticking out on each side of the needle tip for protection and I'm going to have to be very careless to bend one of those needles... I have seen airbrushes where the needle is totally unprotected but surely there must be some sort of front bit you can put on it like all H&S airbrushes?

Every time I clean my airbrush (which is every time I use it!) I do a full teardown and I always stick the needle into a bog roll so I know where it sits, with no risk of getting damaged on the desk or worse end up in my hand.
That way there's no risk of damaging it.

thats a very good question,how i have , no clue but i do,:tongue-out3:
i do try to be careful when doing but it happens,

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I,would say that some time more will show up,on the market,that will bring down the cost of them,also,maybe for different size needles
as well,not to sour what size,s can be done iin this one,not real read into it,that much :hungry:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I wonder how they keep the same angle of taper as the original? It would be very easy to make a steeper taper, which would make the trigger action more sensitive, or a shallower taper, which might lead to the needle jamming in the nozzle.
Does each manufacturer of airbrushes use a different taper? Are they consistent within each manufacturer?

Pete

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
good points there Peter,if you look at the block,the first 2 are on angles,then to do the rest is at a less angle,
so it gives the tapper to the needle,

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That says it maintains the factory angle, but how do they know what the angle is? Are all needles the same? I know they're not all the same, I have a really cheap single-action brush that has a needle visible different from my H & S.

Somebody needs to get one and report back!

Pete

T

Trekkie_John

Thats the problem Peter, it'll only works on one type of needle taper. So any airbrush with with a different taper needle is ruined. Me think the company needs to re-think the description.

John

J

Jens Andrée

Regarding variable angles this tool can probably make your bent needles to "work" again but never restore them to what they were prior.
The needle of an airbrush is polished to a very fine surface texture and tolerance and this, let's say a bit crude, tool will never do this...
It's probably ok for a paint gun with thick needles and large nozzles but good luck fixing that 0.15mm airbrush needle... it just won't happen!

Be careful with your needles and use a tip (cap) that gives you a bit protection.
The tip protector on H&S airbrushes (the one with two posts, one on each side of the needle) is more than enough protection and if you have to get closer than that you're doing something wrong imho. We're talking about ~4 mm gap here to the surface. When would you need to get closer than that?

This is what I'm referring to.

screenhunter_276-apr-17-21-17_grande.jpg

The only tool that could possibly work is something that would work as a pencil sharpener, with fixed angle, multiple rotating stones and motor driven for accuracy, with various stages for grinding and polishing.
This is something where you spin the needle between your fingers and not exactly what I call accurate?!

I might be wrong and you might get it to work but I wouldn't spend $100 on this. I'd rather buy a different cap or whatever you call it and never take it off.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do like of the points a dressed by you John, Jens,
if you look at the tool,there is two to refine the tip,and two for the tapper,
that may suit the angle on s few types of needle,s , to fine out the marks from
the stones just use fine grade sandpaper ,or buffing sticks,
it will be interesting to see,what else dose come out along this line of repair tool.

R

Robo

I wouldn`t have thought you could sharpen the sort of needles we use in our airbrushes, if you sharpen them you would remove material and hence alter the shape so it would no longer seat in the cone properly.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As long as you take off the same amount of material along the whole tip it should retain its shape and so fit, I would assume. Never heard of anyone sharpening an airbrush needle before, though. (That said, I use an Aztek, so I can fit whole new nozzles with built-in needles if they wear out :smiling3:)