Airbrush nozzles ?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Are airbrush nozzles universal or do you have to buy the same make to fit your AB ? 

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
They vary a lot. Generally you will have to buy one specific to your brand, and usually model of airbrush.

Cheers

Steve

D

dubster72

You'll also need to match needle size with nozzle size Alan.

What AB do you have? Sometimes it's actually cheaper to buy another airbrush than get spares or additions.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Well I can't get a nozzle for mine Patrick and it's a cheep expo pistol grip , I dug out the instructions and it states it can spray within 0.05mm but it doesn't spray that thin which would be ideal for what I want it for so I geuss I'll have to upgrade 

so it's research time to find one that actually does spray that fine 

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
What half a millimetre ? , I think the thinnest I've got is about 2mm 

D

dubster72

All manufacturers will state the thinnest possible lines are achievable with their particular airbrush. That don't make it necessarily so! ;)

The advent of acrylics has led to using low pressures, which in my view makes thin lines hard to do. 

Higher pressure (+30 PSI) and a light touch on the trigger produces thin lines with greater ease. Admittedly, that's with those despised enamels! 

If you're looking for an airbrush with a smaller needle/nozzle combination, you could consider the Fenghua one that John sells. I've got one & I know Graham rates his one.

I bought mine from Amazon, simply because it came in 3 sizes; 0.2, 0.3 & 0.5. Plus a new hose, moisture trap & quick release valve - all for £21 Inc postage :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I can spray a 0.5mm line, but it is difficult to maintain, you have to be very precise indeed :smiling3: with a 0.3mm nozzle. Demarcations of around 1mm are certainly doable. I do use a higher pressure and, yes, I still use those despised enamels! I've never tried to do it with acrylics as I spent most of my time trying to unblock the airbrush, cleaning the nozzle tip etc. I'm sure there are many more competent than me who can do it though.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys I appreciate the advice , I'll have a mess about with mine and see if I can get a thinner line 

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I can achieve a 0.5mm line relatively easily with my Iwata Hi Line HP CH. I use acrylics, and all I do is set the pressure to 25-30psi, set the needle stopper to the lowest setting, and .5 lines are relatively easy to achieve.

Cheers, John

Last edited:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I can achieve a 0.5mm line relatively easily with my Iwata Hi Line HP CH. I use acrylics, and all I do is set the pressure to 25-30psi, set the needle stopper to the lowest setting, and .5 lines are relatively easy to achieve.

Cheers, John

Two questions 

1 how do I set the PSI ? 

2 what's a needle stopper ?

i only have a cheep compressor so 1 might not be possible 

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Two questions 

1 how do I set the PSI ? 

2 what's a needle stopper ?

i only have a cheep compressor so 1 might not be possible 

that's the pressure Gauge. If your compressor does not have it, I think you can buy one relatively easily on ebay

Search up Iwata Hi LIne HP CH and look on the end. There is a little knob that when turned, limits how far back or forward the needle goes. Alternatively, it can be set all the way back, and you have full control over the needle

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I do have a pressure gage on mine but it's just a clock with a needle , my compressors has a switch I can set to either full or two thirds , if I have it on full it will switch off once the tank is full , if I have it on two thirds it switches off at 40 psi 

I know what you mean now my brush has the regulator in the same place 

cheers John