Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harder and Steenbeck Ultra

• Harder and Steenbeck Evolution

• Total voters
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I notice you don't have any Paasche airbrushes listed. I am using an Iwata Eclipse right now and it is by far the best I have, but I have single action and a double action by Paasche. I haen't used the DA in a couple of years, but don't remember any real issues with it (other than being siphon feed) and I still use the SA for bigger primer and basecoat jobs on occasion.

That's because the poll limits the amount of stuff I stick up there. I just listed which brushes were important and listed Paasche amongst other airbrushes.

The iwata eclipse is an excellent mainstay brush isn't it? I started on the Neo for Iwata, moved to the Iwata eclipse, moved to an h and s infinity then to the Iwata Hi Line HP CH, which is by far the best brush 

Last edited:
G

GazB

Try owning a HI Line Iwata...

I recently bought one, and it is a top of the line tool. I know it looks like the other cheapo ones, but the performance is vastly superior to any other airbrush, apart from the Iwata Custom Micron. I used to have an Infinity by H and S, but this just offers a lot more control.

I Take your word for it John - It may be i'm not much good no matter what i'm using.  O.o

F

Fenlander

I have a H&S Ultra, probably the worst airbrush I have ever had.  It is now confined to the naughty shelf as it is virtually unusable.  I replaced it with a 'Chinese Iwata copy' which has faultlessly sprayed my last ten kits without a single problem.

You have to remember that not everyone can afford the price of a top end airbrush and, unless you do a lot of fine line work, do not need one.  Yes, a top end brush is nice to own but that could be said about anything.  We don't all drive Rolls Royce cars do we  9_9

I see that John is stocking the Mr Hobby branded airbrushed which according to a review I read recently is manufactured in the same factory as Iwata and takes Iwata parts but comes in at £119.

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/0-2mm-mr-procon-boy-double-action-platinum-airbrush-ps270-mr-hobby.html

This is still a lot of money for a lot of modellers, in fact it is £104 more than the 'cheap' copy that I am using.

Yes, I agree that the engineering and materials of the cheap copies is not the same but for general spraying, it is good enough.  Like most things, it isn't the tool that does the job, it's the user.  Of course, the better made that tool is, the more reliable and repeatable the results will be.  Most issues that people have with their airbrush is caused by inaccurate and inconsistent thinning, use of the wrong thinners and their cleaning regime. 

What I don't like about the very top end in just about anything is why we have to pay more for a brand name.  If the Mr Hobby is made in the same factory as Iwata, and takes the same parts, why do I have to pay a hell of a lot more for the Iwata name?

If I do buy a 'better' brush, even though I have been so disappointed.... no disgusted by the Ultra that is sold under the H&S brand, it will more than likely be a H&S Evolution 2in1.

D

dubster72

I absolutely agree with Graham. Just because it costs more, doesn't mean it's necessarily better.

The vast majority of airbrush problems are about how they're used & paint issues, not the airbrush itself.

Although something like a £16 Fengua might only give 12 months decent performance, the Iwata Hi Line HP CH costs around £200. So for that money, you could buy a brand-new Fenghua every year for 12 years!

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I have a H&S Ultra, probably the worst airbrush I have ever had.  It is now confined to the naughty shelf as it is virtually unusable.  I replaced it with a 'Chinese Iwata copy' which has faultlessly sprayed my last ten kits without a single problem.

You have to remember that not everyone can afford the price of a top end airbrush and, unless you do a lot of fine line work, do not need one.  Yes, a top end brush is nice to own but that could be said about anything.  We don't all drive Rolls Royce cars do we  9_9

I see that John is stocking the Mr Hobby branded airbrushed which according to a review I read recently is manufactured in the same factory as Iwata and takes Iwata parts but comes in at £119.

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/0-2mm-mr-procon-boy-double-action-platinum-airbrush-ps270-mr-hobby.html

This is still a lot of money for a lot of modellers, in fact it is £104 more than the 'cheap' copy that I am using.

Yes, I agree that the engineering and materials of the cheap copies is not the same but for general spraying, it is good enough.  Like most things, it isn't the tool that does the job, it's the user.  Of course, the better made that tool is, the more reliable and repeatable the results will be.  Most issues that people have with their airbrush is caused by inaccurate and inconsistent thinning, use of the wrong thinners and their cleaning regime. 

What I don't like about the very top end in just about anything is why we have to pay more for a brand name.  If the Mr Hobby is made in the same factory as Iwata, and takes the same parts, why do I have to pay a hell of a lot more for the Iwata name?

If I do buy a 'better' brush, even though I have been so disappointed.... no disgusted by the Ultra that is sold under the H&S brand, it will more than likely be a H&S Evolution 2in1.

I completely agree as well, I started out on those as well, but migrated on to the more expensive one through years of saving. As you said, it is a personal choice.

I find that the H and S airbrushes can be of inferior quality of the lower range as well, so I am not surprised why you are put off the ultra. Try selling it on ISM, they lap up H and S like anything, and someone will buy it.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

The Mr Hobby looks interesting. I am looking into a secondary AB, might get that, but I only buy airbrushes based on spare parts

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Lol, not a fan of ISM as you may have gathered but even I wouldn't dump that pile of cra............ Mmmmmm, hang on, yes I would  :P

I would!!! They ruined my selling reputation there... >:sad:

BTW, this is what an ISM chap said about the ultra. I have never found another airbrush harder to strip down than the infinity, which is why I sold it

"I have a H&S Ultra with a 0.4mm set up that I use for priming and varnish. They are great, easy and quick to strip down and clean. I'm really happy with them..."

Last edited:
P

phikoleoputra

I used the chinese copy for a starter, works great and sprayed well. Then I bought an Olympos AB (the grandfather of Iwata AB) and I can feel immediately the difference in quality. 

Then I bought H&S Evolution 2in1, works really good, but I still prefer the Olympos for day to day use.  :smiling3:

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I used the chinese copy for a starter, works great and sprayed well. Then I bought an Olympos AB (the grandfather of Iwata AB) and I can feel immediately the difference in quality. 

Then I bought H&S Evolution 2in1, works really good, but I still prefer the Olympos for day to day use.  :smiling3:

olympus airbrushes are certainly good, I know of them, and they are certainly excellent workhorses

btw, how is the evolution working? I am either getting an Iwata Eclipse or an H and S Evolution for a "lacquer airbrush" next.

Cheers

Last edited:
P

phikoleoputra

olympus airbrushes are certainly good, I know of them, and they are certainly excellent workhorses

btw, how is the evolution working? I am either getting an Iwata Eclipse or an H and S Evolution for a "lacquer airbrush" next.

Cheers

Hi John,

The H&S Evolution works really great, and I mostly use it with Mr. Hobby Lacquer paints so I put those dangerous stuff in the ab and nothing breaks down. Highly recommended!!!

The other good stuff is you can just change it to 0.4mm in an instance to spray large area (prming, etc) then back to 0.2mm for detail work. Hope that helps

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Hi John,

The H&S Evolution works really great, and I mostly use it with Mr. Hobby Lacquer paints so I put those dangerous stuff in the ab and nothing breaks down. Highly recommended!!!

The other good stuff is you can just change it to 0.4mm in an instance to spray large area (prming, etc) then back to 0.2mm for detail work. Hope that helps

That's good to know, I used to use an eclipse for lacquers, and don't use any lacquers or cellulose in my Iwata HP CH Hi Line, because I want to preserve it's life (due to it's excessive price and myself wanting to maintain it's amazing performance). However, I might look into the evolution for cellulose stuff now. How does it strip down and spray fine lines?

Thanks

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
John - I have two Evos and they are very easy to strip down, no tool needed.   One of their known advantages over most is the ease of cleaning.  As for fine lines, the only real limit is that imposed by the skill level of the airbrusher.

P

phikoleoputra

John - I have two Evos and they are very easy to strip down, no tool needed.   One of their known advantages over most is the ease of cleaning.  As for fine lines, the only real limit is that imposed by the skill level of the airbrusher.

couldn't agree more to what Barry said

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

couldn't agree more to what Barry said

Thanks very much for that. Will definaitely look into it now. how are spare parts in terms of availability and expense?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Spares are easy to get and are pretty much interchangeable between their mid-range and top range airbrushes. I,for instance, replaced the Evo needle cap that was a solid round piece with the one with two spikes which were easier to 'pinch clean' while airbrushing.  John has a good range http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/harder-steenbeck-airbrushes.html

i am sure he can order in any spares/parts that he does not have in stock as well.

First Name
Gwyn
I am fairly new to airbrush use but I bought a middle range Sparmax 35 which has worked very well for me. It is easy to clean and does not clog up (I only use acrylics). It cost £49.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I am fairly new to airbrush use but I bought a middle range Sparmax 35 which has worked very well for me. It is easy to clean and does not clog up (I only use acrylics). It cost £49.

Sparmazes are good airbrushes, very solid, and good on the price