airbrush pressure

J

jcgm

Hi, I need to know which is the best air pressure (psi) for painting models with airbrush?

Thanks,

N

noobee captain

Hi JCGM, welcome.

a lot depends on the brush, hoses, etc. Personally my regulator is set to 60psi, works well for me. I have a friend with an old airbrush which can only take 20psi.

Hope this helps.

T

tufty

Hi JCGM, welcome.

i run mine between 15-20 psi and find this perfect but just experiment with the pressure

T

tecdes

JCGM a question not really answerable in exact terms.

Go for as a trial 15 to 20 pressure.

All depends on factors. Type of airbrush. Size of nozzle & needle. What you are spraying in paint type. How far you are away from the subject. How much you have thinned or not the paint. Temperature. Type of finish you want.

Sorry but those are the issues. It is all a matter of trial & experience. Practice & practice with all those issues in mind. I found I quickly came to an overall understanding. But I learn a bit more every time I airbrush.

Noobee Captain. Are you sure your regulator is accurate ? At that pressure, 60, you will get through a pint of paint in a minute.

Laurie

T

tecdes

Andy when you adjust the pressure with this little unit does the new pressure set register on the pressure indicator dial on the compressor ?

Laurie

C

CDW

Originally posted in July 2007 .... i'll bet he's sussed it or bought a new brush since then :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

First Name
Andy
\ said:
Andy when you adjust the pressure with this little unit does the new pressure set register on the pressure indicator dial on the compressor ?Laurie
No Sir, just the flow through the Airbrush, it just saves having to keep messing about trying to turn the main regulator value, so I can go from spraying very lightly to full pressure with a simple adjustment whilst still spraying (hope that makes sense)...

T

tecdes

\ said:
Originally posted in July 2007 .... i'll bet he's sussed it or bought a new brush since then :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:
Yes I do hope so Colin.

This is just cheating who is the joker here ?

I know who is the nutter !

Laurie

Calm is to sit doing nothing for one whole minute. More is boredom.

Quote Laurie Stewart "October" 2013

C

CDW

I take it I'm the nutter then :smiling3: :smiling3:

reference my optimistic attempt at the bi airplane no doubt heh heh heh

D

Doggy

I know this is an old thread but i just got an airbrush and I found pressure around 15-20psi best for me.

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
I know this is an old thread but i just got an airbrush and I found pressure around 15-20psi best for me.
Theres a handy section on airbrushing in this months Fine Scale Modeler, but the main conclusion is that each and every modeler will give you a different answer :smiling3:

Adrian

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
There is no ideal pressure. It all depends on nozzle size and the viscosity of the medium you are blowing through it.

Ian M