Airbrush problems

F

First Model

Not sure if I am doing something wrong here but it seems after long periods of use I get a lot of water through my airline and that ends up on the model during painting. My compressor has a water cather and whilst I am using it I can see a lot of condensation within the water catcher but not enough that it comes out the drain point.

I bought a cheap compressor from ebay as I couldnt afford a main stream one at the time and I am just starting out again.

Does anybody know what may be causing this and how I can resolve it?

Below is a picture of my air compressor after use and you can see the condensation in the water catcher.

View attachment 71238

IMG_2647.JPG

T

tecdes

Not got your Christian name. If you go into profile you can add it.

The compressor is similar to many used by members here. Better with a pressure tank but should give good results.

Matter of interest where & what conditions are you using the compressor. What temperature are you sing it in. I get almost no water at all so this is strange. I read somewhere that a malfunctioning compressor will produce water.

To see if you have any leaks use soapy water & using a pint brush paint all the joints including the piston head joint & all the airbrush joints. Also bring up to pressure & leave overnight. My equipment, the compressor is similar and the pressure will keep as left for over a week & I think indefinitely.

If all seems ok difficult to think of any other reason for the water being produced. I would speculate the compressor is malfunctioning. Can you ring the people you bought the compressor form & seek their opinion ?

You could try an inline water collector & there are those which fit on the airbrush itself.

Laurie

F

First Model

Laurie,

Many thanks for the advice. I am using the compressor in my garage as the other half does not want overspray in our nice new house. The compressor is on the floor.

It's funny you mention about checking if it leaks. I have noticed the pump kicking in after sitting there for a minute or two. I shall try the soapy water trick and try to identify where the leak may be.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I bet it is the clap valve that is the reason for the leak. As for the water I suspect it is condensation. Cold damp air in the garage especially just above the floor. First step move it up off the floor. Its only little. Put it on the table or hang it up. When air compresses it warms and this will draw the moisture out and it will condense on the hose, as that is cold.

A good trick with that type of compressor is to put it over a radiator so the air it is catching id warm and dry.

Ian M

F

First Model

After taking off all the connections and putting some plumbers tape on the threads it appears the connector from the compressor to the water trap is at fault.

I am hoping I can replace the connector otherwise the thread on the compressor is at fault and will need to get a new compressor.

T

tecdes

If it is the thread on the water trap you can get new water trap Lee.

Looking at the watertrap mine & all others I have seen have a knob at the top which you turn either to increase or decrease the air pressure. How do you adjust your pressure Lee as from the picture you do not have this knob on top of the water trap. Nor can I see a gauge to give the pressure you want. This again is normally part of the water trap assembly.

If you look at this page on Scle Model Shop you will see the assembly. http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/iwata-airbrushes/compressors.html

Laurie

F

First Model

\ said:
If it is the thread on the water trap you can get new water trap Lee.Looking at the watertrap mine & all others I have seen have a knob at the top which you turn either to increase or decrease the air pressure. How do you adjust your pressure Lee as from the picture you do not have this knob on top of the water trap. Nor can I see a gauge to give the pressure you want. This again is normally part of the water trap assembly.

If you look at this page on Scle Model Shop you will see the assembly. http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/iwata-airbrushes/compressors.html

Laurie
My gauge is at the top of the photo so you can't really see it.

As for adjusting the pressure there is a crude bolt under the water trap which allows air to escape so is an adjust the pressure. Unfortunately this keeps the compressor running permanently.

View attachment 71273

image.jpg

Last edited: