Airbrush with adjustable airflow knob

M

m1ks

Do any of you guys on here use one, the one I mean has an adjustable know under the nozzle to adjust airflow at the gun rather than at the regulator.

Does anyone use one and does it have a useful function for airbrush modelling?

I have a Basic gravity fed one and am looking at getting a Spraymaster or similar, (as they do ones with Teflon needle bearings), and one of their models has this adjustement and a crown shaped needle cap, would appreciate comments?

It's my guess that this would be more useful for airbrush artists but i'm quite new to DA airbrushes

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't use one and struggle to see why you'd need that feature. Maybe in a studio where several airbrushes were running of a central compressor it would be vital but I only use one at a time and simply adjust my pressure on the compressor output. Of course I may be missing something here,I'm sure someone will point it out!

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

I am not too sure what you mean by this. Do you mean one of the airbrushes where you have two external nozzles, one supplying the paint and the other the air? I know on these yo have to bring the two nozzles closer to increase the paint flow and separate them to get a softer, wider spray. generally they have a bottle feed for the paint and it is the rapid passage of the air across the top of the paint nozzle that 'sucks' the paint up into the airflow.

After all that, you are probably talking about something totally different.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I have a H & S Evolution 2, which has the feature you mention. It's really only useful for fine tuning of the air pressure and I do use this sometimes. But, you could just as easily adjust the pressure at the compressor. I didn't buy the H & S because it had this adjustment on it, it just happened to have it. If your compressor is close by, you don't need this feature.

Colin M.......

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi M1ks, I've got a Iwata airbrush with this feature and I can't say I use it that often.

Cheers

Paul

M

m1ks

That's pretty much answered my query and pretty much as I suspected. I honestly doubt i'd ever use it for modelling but wondered if I was missing something.

Fen, useful info but as you suspect, nothing like what i'm talking about :smiling3: , though the helpful sentiment is greatly appreciated.

Heres a link to the type of brush I mean.

Everything Airbrush

I have a small hobby compressor which is always to hand.

I got the kit with a gravity feed and a siphon (syphon?) feed, like below, I much prefer the gravity feed one but fancied a second one so I can use one for Acrylics and one for enamels / lacquers, i didn't like the siphon feed a much but it will do fine at the moment for Klear coating.

COMPLETE AIRBRUSH COMPRESSOR KIT COLOUR TWIN AIR BRUSH on eBay (end time 11-May-10 19:56:21 BST)

Though a cheap kit it works well.

M

m1ks

As an aside I do still have my old basic Badger which is of the type I think you mean, they're OK for a first brush but a bit fiddly to set up with a decent flow and then you have to be consistent as they're not controllable once set.

C

Caledonia

What is handy is the quick release coupling with adjustable air control, does the same job, and the QC is very handy. I use the valve regularly, you can leave the compressor at one setting and adjust the air at the Airbrush. Cheers Derek

Everythingairbrush Quick Release Couplings

R

RM4U

Hi,

The adjustment knob is called a MAC Valve (Micro Air Control) which is very useful when needing to adjust the air flow at the airbrush.

The reason these valves have been added to some airbrush models is so the user can control the air flow from full down to whisper, enabling fine adjustment of the airflow at the head of the airbrush for more control of stippling, fine detail and finely atomised background spraying for close-up work. It also allows the pressure to be adjusted with more precision, than can be obtained by the Regulator at the Compressor which will only control the maximum pressure output.

The reason for the airbrush having a Crown Neddle Cap is to allow you to get closer to your work for fine detailling. It also decreases the build up of paint on the tip of the needle and in the Nozzle Cap, preventing spitting with better air displacement.

You can purchase an external MAC Valve for airbrushes that do not have this valve on the airbrush, but the airbrush with a MAC at the front of the airbrush is the better option if Micro Air Control is what you need for the work you are spraying.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Leslie.

Last edited: