Airbrushing RAF roundels

C

Cooperman69

After a few days of struggling trying to get my Tamiya roundel decals fitted to the Spitfire I thought I'd ask the question, does anyone airbrush their decals to the models.

I've struggled trying to get the decals to sit nicely over the uneven lumps and bumps on the wings and no matter how much fettling with Microsol I do they just end up going tight as a drum over the top of the detail.

So is it possible to airbrush your own roundels, what colour is suitable (I use Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics), and can you buy any suitable masks to do this?

Many thanks,

Colin.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The quick answer is yes,you can do it and there are masks available. One supplier is here.

Home - MIRACLE PAINT MASKS

He is a model builder himself and understands what we want and need. There are others of course.

I can't help with the correct colours by those manufacturers I'm afraid but somone else will.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yes it can be done!!! lol

Vallejo Prussian blue and their dark red are close. their yellow is a bit bright, add a tiny bit of red to warm it up a little bit. White Ensign do enamel paints that should be spot on. Insignia red and Blue. Steve (Stona) might put me right but I thing that you need trainer Yellow for the outer bands...

Ian M

C

Cooperman69

Thanks for the info. guys, love this forum for it's help :smiling3:

I'll probably try the Vallejo Model Air in those colours, but out of interest are the White Ensign only available in enamel or do they do acrylic too?

Now is it possible to remove decals that have been given the Microsol treatment without damage to the paint finish?

Colin.

C

Cooperman69

Okey doke, I'll try that.

Sorry if they seem such novice questions but that is exactly where I am at the moment.... on that slippy and steep learning curve.

Thanks again for the answers, I'll be ordering somw masks this weekend.

Atb, Colin.

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The White Ensign colours are only available in enamels as part of their excellent Colourcoat range. I use them all the time :smiling3:

Removing decals can be tricky. Sometimes they will lift off,in pieces,with good old sellotape. I think you should be prepared to fix the paint though!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Before you order the masks, try making them.

I just cut masking tape with a circle cutter (an old pair dividers with a sharpened needle). Give it a go, you might find its not that hard... Its a circle!!

Ian M

C

Cooperman69

\ said:
The White Ensign colours are only available in enamels as part of their excellent Colourcoat range. I use them all the time :smiling3: Removing decals can be tricky. Sometimes they will lift off,in pieces,with good old sellotape. I think you should be prepared to fix the paint though!

Cheers

Steve
I not used enamels before and I can never remember what way round it works.

Are enamels OK to be painted over acrylic (including Klear) with no effect on the paint or is it the other way around, acrylic over enamel?

Also what do you thin and clean up with? White spirit?

Cheers,

Colin.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have not had any problems painting enamel over acrylic.

White spirit is the correct stuff to use

Ian M

C

Cooperman69

\ said:
The White Ensign colours are only available in enamels as part of their excellent Colourcoat range. I use them all the time :smiling3: Removing decals can be tricky. Sometimes they will lift off,in pieces,with good old sellotape. I think you should be prepared to fix the paint though!

Cheers

Steve
Your not wrong there Steve!

Tried removing them tonight with a little Microsol, sellotape, cocktail stick.... and in the end had to resort to sanding them off and some touch up work on the paint.

I've actually got another sheet of decals tonight from Techmod but I still can't get them to sit over the "bump" on the underside of the Spitfire wing nicely, guess it's just me!

I think my best bet is going to be masking and spraying the roundels and markings.

Steve could you tell me please, what colours in the White Ensign range do you use for the RAF markings? I'm also thinking about spraying the yellow on the wing leading edge, any idea what that colour would be too?

Thanks,

Colin.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
White Ensign RAF roundel red ACRN27 and RAF roundel blue ACRN31. Be sure to mix it very well.

I think the yellow is ACRN21

Ian M

C

Cooperman69

Top man Ian, I'm just about to order some.

Many thanks,

Colin.