Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
just build it ken or are you a chicken Ha! Ha! :D

james pithouse

First Name
James
I agree Ian my brother is mad but for doing rigging well he's chicken all right he'll most probably start this model next year I think Ha! ha! :D :p:D

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Ken

The Wasa was one of my favourite builds during my teen years must have been all that gold and royal blue colour by the way I love rigging ships in my stash I have the victory the cutty sark the sovereign of the seas the bounty and the endeavour so plenty of miles of thread to string out there the only difference is these cost around 700 quid each to collect but hey it's something to build in my retirement good luck on your build I will be watching your progress to encourage you here's my beaten up victory 100th scale by heller it has moved with me 7 times now I just can't throw it away

Regards

Colin

View attachment 119223

image.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

That looks outstanding mate, what my brother fails to realise is I have 10 builds on the go at the moment I just can't physically start another(no time and only one pair of hands) as soon as the Sovriegn is finished I will start this (my boss has commissioned me to build it) actually airfix have the colours all wrong she was red where airfix have her blue and a lot of the guilding was not guilded the figures were painted real colours not gold, my boss wants it as per the box I want it accurate (we will see who wins)

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I didn't know that I painted mine as per box oh well I was about 15 when I did mine brought for by mum who like the colours and wanted it in her bedroom so that's where it went and was still there when I left home

D

Deleted member 3568

I bet it's still there now, and I may even end up painting it that colour (she's paying)

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well I've made a start, its going to be an interesting build, like the Heller Z1 it is really badly warped, tried glueing the deck to the hull but kept pinging off so tried glueing the hull together but it just keeps pinging apart so I've glued the front now waiting for it to dry then will try adding the decking and glueing and taping it bit by bit.

View attachment 120684

DSC_0139.JPG

D

Dave1973

oh lord!

My wife has bought me the Cutty Sark to do....obviously thinks my abilities are more than reality! Looking at your picture, I best learn how to do knots!

Actually, I think I'll leave it under the bench, might be a bit beyond my skills!

D

Deleted member 3568

Don't worry mate this is an old kit, I bought it off ebay and gawd knows how it was stored, probably in direct sunlight light for years and years making it warp. Your kit probably came from a shop, stored correctly, is it the airfix or revell kit, go for it mate, you will find lots of help on here, I am by no means a good modeller and if I can build one anyone can.

james pithouse

First Name
James
yep ask my brother ken (kpnuts) he's really good at model making but be careful he's mad just look at the other models he's made then you'll understand why they will not take back in the asylum home I've tried to take him back but they said keep him out:D. But you will get help on here just ask Dave1973

D

Deleted member 3568

Not that great at modeling and since I managed to escape the sectioning you arranged, I've managed to keep out of the asylum, I've substituted the drugs for alcohol 60 pints a night or 20 whiskeys seems to keep me fairly normal, although the elephants in the toilet still worry me.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all this has come as close to being thrown at the wall as any model ive done (even if it is a commissioned one)

I think I've finally got the hull together, this made the Z1 look like a walk in the park.

View attachment 120886

View attachment 120887

View attachment 120888

I broke some of these things on the top rails (whatever they are) so will need to replace them.

View attachment 120889

View attachment 120890

View attachment 120891

View attachment 120892

View attachment 120915

View attachment 120916

View attachment 120917

View attachment 120918

View attachment 120919

View attachment 120920

View attachment 120921

DSC_0143.JPG

DSC_0144.JPG

DSC_0145.JPG

DSC_0146.JPG

DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG

DSC_0151.JPG

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Whose been in intensive care you or the model it looked like an Egyptian mummified deity at one point well done for persevering

D

demon

I have been quietly watching I built is it the royal prince the one with three lamps on the stern when I was in my early teens it's the rigging that I could never manage but I know you can

Roger

D

Dave1973

Is it common to have the main hull pieces badly warped? I looked at this Cutty sark today, and they're banana like. I see you have had to do the hull on parts, did you use normal cement or something different?

This is the air fix kit.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi mate, first of all don't panic on the cutty sark the hull and deck are built differently to the Wasa (I've built this kit before) and its my dads favorite kit he has built it 3 times(unfortunatly his eyesight is not what it was and cant see him building it again) use superglue, I think you should be ok following the instructions, but if it seems to badly warped do what I did glue the front part let that dry then gradualy glue it 2 or 3 inches at a time till you get to the stern (the advantage of superglue is you only have to hold it for ten mins or so till its set enough to progress to the next bit ) just make sure the front (the prow) is set fully (overnight ) before you start on the rest, if you do have to use this method dont try to fit the deck till the hull is set again overnight as you will have to force the top of the hull apart to fit the deck (in places) and if its not fully set you may find the hull pings apart again. I'm sure it will go as per instructions so dont worry.