Airfix 1/144 Wasa

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
J

Jens Andrée

Now that's a ship I've been around in on a handful of occasions! (what's left of it...)
A majestic one back in the days but did a Titanic on her maiden voyage keeling over and spent her life (380-ish years) in the drink until 1961.
Today she smells really terrible from the conservation job but she's stable and should remain for a very long time.
A visit I can recommend if you're ever doing a detour to Stockholm, Sweden.

Her name is actually not Wasa, that's a name they came up with in the early 1900's and changed (modernised) to Vasa in 1990.
Her actual name is Vasen but due to lack of proper spelling back in the days she was also sometimes called (written) Wasen, Wasan and Wassen.
The name stems from the Vasa family (first King of Sweden).

Good luck with bringing her back on your bench! She's a beautiful ship, just not meant for being in the water ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
not meant for being in the water ;)
I thin k you meant 'not meant for being ON the water' Jens, as you said she spent nearly 4 centuries IN it!
I always meant to visit when I was in Sweden, but never quite managed it.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all here's the next bit
iyq3y9.jpg

As an aside look what I won on eBay (last one went for 163 quid I got this for 40 quid)
200truq.jpg

24muyio.jpg

531hud.jpg

And my ten min wood effect
2i0yl1f.jpg

2qtjurt.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well all the detail painting on the hull is done.
I've glued the cannons on the sinking side as when it's attached to the base I think it would be very difficult.
20iwh90.jpg

fp2sdi.jpg

Added to the base, need to get some more Poundland bathroom sealant now for the sea
15wbhnr.jpg

2cosrbn.jpg

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You are definitely winning on this one, she is looking good

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice work Ken. That front bit (Not very nautical) looks ace, the sea's not bad either!

Top progress all round.

D

Deleted member 3568

Did some more to this.
2a01a3q.jpg

avls7p.jpg

207p152.jpg

2hi5iy9.jpg

I would love to add some figures but can't find any to add to it.

First Name
Noel
Looks like you are attempting to model the ship just starting to founder. Have a look at unpainted N gauge figures from model railway suppliers such as Peco that can be adapted.
I have also recently finished a model of the Vasa to depict her as she went down, but did my model full hull. When the ship sank her fore and main top gallant masts were not set but replaced with flagstaffs. She also only had four sails bent into her yards.

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks for the info makes my life easier.
Is your model on here?

First Name
Noel
Unfortunately I have no pics on this site at present. There is one in the Fine Scale Modeler gallery on their website. I have written an article about the model that appeared in IPMS UK magazine around October last year with photos of the full build. If you are not an IPMS member, they have a promo stand at some of the model shows up and down the country and sell back issues.
In my last post I mentioned that the Vasa only had 4 sails bent into the yards but did not name which. They are fore sail, fore topsail, main topsail and lateen sail.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all next update
33v2m50.jpg

2cdzz3d.jpg

I was going to add some stays but Airfix would have you use the God awful plastic coated cotton ratline thingies so no hole through the crows nest
2z55e06.jpg

Wish I hadn't added the main stays now as drilling out the holes in the crows nest will probably slacken them all off
2z8rx8k.jpg

First Name
Noel
Ken, You mentioned the pre formed cotton ratlines being plastic coated and this was the norm with Airfix with all their earlier classic ships series. They were a bit rubbish. Some time later when Airfix and Heller were under the same holding company, Airfix supplied a jig to make ratlines as per Heller practice. The last Airfix Vasa kit I bought had the Heller style rigging jig included.
Your Vasa in this thread is taking shape really nicely. The sea base also looks very effective and looks very realistic. Could you share your technique for making this?
I see that you have obtained the Airfix HMS Prince, that also looks to be a very interesting subject. The original Admiralty model I believe is on display at he Science Museum.

D

Deleted member 3568

It's dead easy mate it's clear bathroom sealant you just paint your base the colour of the sea you want squirt it on the base spread it about then put whatever you are using to make the waves in it and then quickly lift it up in the direction of the wave and you will get a little peak continue til it looks how you want then just add white to the tops of the waves.

First Name
Noel
Thanks for sharing the sea base technique Ken.
Is it my imagination, but did I see on another forum that you have also got the new Pocher Ducati Panigale Motor Bike on the go?

D

Deleted member 3568

It's also on here mate and finished.
Hi all got some of the stays done.
egd8wj.jpg

2pb7s.jpg

24lvgap.jpg