Airfix 1/24 p51 mustang

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi everyone I'm just posting my wip on my p51 mustang just to show I'm not being lazy. As always on this scale airfix haven't let me down as so far it's been a little pig of a fit in places but I've managed to knock it together and got the fuselage sewn up in a fashion with super glue and clamps and patience. Now for filling and sanding thanks for looking and any comments left cheers John image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHiimage.jpgimage.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You may be experiencing some issues with the kit as expected John, but that is looking A1 so far

First Name
Mike
One of the nicest builds I've seen so far of that old kit, looking forward to more progress.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi everyone after a short interval ive made a return to the mustang which was started last year :eek: but making a conserted effort to mop up all unfinished kits so I can rip the lids off anther 5 boxes. Should be finished soon I hope thanks for looking in and any comments left. Cheers John IMG_8194.JPG IMG_8193.JPG

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Nice to see you back on this one John, Going to pose it in-flight ?[/QUOTE
I'm a wheels down man Ian but can't explain why though as I don't really know the reason. Another obsession of mine is that every plane I build there as to be a pilot in the cockpit or on the way to it if displayed on a base. Cheers John

N

noble

This is looking great so far john, I have been given this kit and after my last airfix 1/24 mustang kit ism worked about the fit. Any tips you can put out there would be appreciated greatly.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi Scott thanks for your kind comments. Regarding the kit and it's fit issues and tips. Arm yourself with masking tape elastic bands vices a good super glue and lots of patience as it will soon become apparent where you need to use each one. It's been a bit if a fight beating this thing into submission to get it to this stage. I did intend to do the RAF one at a later date but I won't be bothering now and I'll get the Tamiya 1/48 one instead. All that said don't be put off just be prepared for some testing moments and all will be fine. All the best and good luck John

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi everyone I'm slowly chipping away at this a bit more painting done just waiting for it to harden then I'll be blasting metal color onto it . Thanks for looking in cheers John IMG_8231.JPG

D

dubster72

I've always wanted to do one of these, but the fit problems put me off. So I'll just enjoy your excellent build John!

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Just seen this one and as I have one in my stash I will give me an idea of what I will be looking forward to.
Yours is looking good

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi everyone I've just sprayed the fuselage of the p51 with the extreme metal paints. They went down nicely without any fuss and I'm more than pleased with the result so I'd like to highly recommend them I will be getting more of them soon. Thanks for looking in and any comments left cheers John IMG_8353.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Shiny!! Did they go on ok john? And did you buff them up? im curious to know because i read that they are some sort of wax based formula , i wonder if a final varnish coat to seal the decals would go on ok or if decal solvents will affect it

D

dubster72

Wow that's a lovely finish John! Wish I could do BMF like that