Airfix 1/48 Blackburn Buccaneer

First Name
Dave
This is the old Airfix Buccaneer and at the moment it's the only choice if you want one in this scale. The fuselage is split horizontally and the halves in my kit were a bit warped. So I had to glue the halves together a section at a time.Despite this, I really enjoyed building the kit. I painted it with Humbrol enamels and used Alclad gloss and Matt clear coats.Some details painted with Vallejo and Tamiya paints. And I've finished it as an aircraft of no.12 Sqdn based at RAF Lossiemouth in 1988. I'm not happy with the silver leading edges. When/ if I build another I will use strips of silver decal or fill the engraved detail at the edges.Decals are Airfix originals.Except for the roundels.These are from an Xtradecal sheet as the kit ones reacted badly to Microsol. It's a pity Airfix haven't re-released this kit. It's not up to modern standards,but it's not bad. If I can find another, I want to build a Gulf War Buccaneer. Got the decals already!.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very nice Dave. You need to pose it on a base....like a petrol station forecourt in New Elgin. This jet has been parked there for years.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Very nice indeed.

I wish someone would produce a newer version to replace this ancient Airfix offering! Considering it's age and the build problems, they're very expensive - maybe due to the demand for a Buccaneer in 1/48. Other manufacturers take note!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
A truly splendid example of an old beauty
Shame about all the fit issues etc but from my eyes you have addressed this problem with ease and produced a cracking model

Kind regards

Robert

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
very nice

always like aircraft from this era, so much more interesting to look at

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful looking bucc dave, a top job on a tricky kit. I really enjoyed the one i made too , hope you manage to find another at the right price for your gulf war version, cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant Dave, very nice. I really liked the 1:72 I built some years ago and would love a 1:48.
they're very expensive - maybe due to the demand for a Buccaneer in 1/48
So true Dave. I couldn't believe what these go for now.

First Name
Dave
Brilliant Dave, very nice. I really liked the 1:72 I built some years ago and would love a 1:48.

So true Dave. I couldn't believe what these go for now.
This one only cost me a couple of quid a few years ago.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great result from an old kit Dave, your Buccaneer looks superb.