Airfix 1:48 Hurricane Mk. 1

With my Hobbyboss Ta152 entering the final stages, I decided to start this to keep up some momentum. I've built a few 1:72 Airfix kits but this is my first in 1:48 scale [or the first Airfix "new tool" 1:48 kit I should say].

Work, as usual, has started in the cockpit. The inside of the fuselage sides has quite a rough texture compared to the outer surfaces which doesn't seem to hold a wash well. Although the instructions say the parts should be painted in silver, I followed the lead of the model that was built in Military Illustrated Modeller and painted them interior green. In this instance I used Interior Green for RAF cockpits by Ammo.

upload_2016-1-22_17-38-33.png

Compared to the Tamiya cockpit green I've used previously, it's much paler but that's not a bad thing in my opinion.

5.jpg

7.jpg

11.jpg

I replaced the kits intrument panel decal with individual dials from Airscale.

9.jpg

Thanks for looking

Matt

First Name
Robert
Hi Matt I've built this kit several times and I've found that the internal green or cockpit green van be a little hard to find the right shade. I use a variety of paints and I have found that like you Tamiya is not quite ther the Vallejo/mig does seem to get it near as damn it. BOB website gives an exact colour ref.

Looking good so far

Regards

Robert

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Take a data plate off an unrestored Spitfire air frame and this is the colour revealed.

Spit%20interior%20colour_small_zpsnzcp8qlh.jpg

Courtesy of the late Edgar Brooks.

Cheers

Steve

After what seems like ages, I've finally got most of this built. The wheelbays were sprayed using Ammo metal colours and given a wash using a mixture of brown paint and Klear.

Quite a bit of filling required especially around the air filter and cowling.

13.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

Thanks for looking

Matt

First Name
Robert
That is looking very good there Matt ( defo like the undercarriage bays ) some nice detail going on there.

If I remember rightly I made my last 1/48 in service of the USSR ( thin there was a lend lease on.

Regards

Robert

Thanks for the comments guys! Progress has been ridiculously slow on this after a promising start!

I think the thought of masking the canopy is putting me off - might have to buy some masks!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I normally mask canopies with tape. But on some builds I've used masks, and they are great. Buy some, you won't be disappointed.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Got one of these in the stash it's about 4th or 5th in line, we seem to build at around the same speed so mine will be finished late 2017 early 2018!

Looking good so far, now watching.

Phil

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Thanks for the comments guys! Progress has been ridiculously slow on this after a promising start!
I think the thought of masking the canopy is putting me off - might have to buy some masks!
I have tried to use purpose made masks for a couple of canopies and struggled one way or another, the bare metal method on the other hand I used on the last to builds is a pleasure just make sure it's a new blade your using.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
looking good

got one of these in the stash, got a Tirydium lighting kit coming for it soon

Wow, 7 months since I touched this I'm ashamed to admit! Had absolutely no modelling mojo at all for months. In an effort to kick-start some enthusiasm I bought some Brassin wheels and exhausts the other day. Still waiting to mask that canopy...

D

Deleted member 5496

So naughty. Similar not lost MOJO bu just finishing decorating a two bedroom flat.

Find I cannot combine model making and decorating. Soon be back though flat decorated wife happy.

Laurie