Airfix 1/72 Avro Shackleton

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Well I thought I would Start this thread as I'm in two minds what to do with the canopy of the Revell Shackleton try and make do with it and dip it in Klear to help improve it's transparency or wait for a replacement once I've managed to get a response off Revell.:mad:

Anyway I've made a start. There is no rivet detail at all on this one but the interior is very well detailed in comparison to the Revell Shackleton. The instruction are straight forward and easy to follow with highlighted areas so you know what your doing. Seats are together pilot and co-pilot are well detailed consisting of three parts. The rest of the cabin and crew areas are completed yet again very detailed. At this stage I will most probably prime but to be honest none of it will be seen and 1/72 is way too small for me attempt to do any thing with it. I will attempt to do something with the cockpit area as this will be visible.

Next up was a test fit in the fuselage half all looks good there's a few drill holes to make and some areas to cut out. There are some nice strong spars that should hold the wings in place. So I did a quick test with other fuselage half cut it off the sprue and to my horror there are multiple since marks along the whole of the spine that corispond the alinement pins and in-between it is uneven and sunk. Why didn't I check to see if all was ok. I suppose I didn't even think there would be issues with this new tooling. So I have been in contact with Airfix Replacement Dept and now it's just a waiting game. Email has said they are experiencing a high volume of requests for parts so could take up to 28 days. :sad:

I don't seem to be having much luck with models at the moment maybe time to go back to the Dauntless.

Avro Shackleton.jpg

IMG_7955.jpg

IMG_7957.jpg

IMG_7959.jpg

IMG_7960.jpg

IMG_7961.jpg

IMG_7962.jpg

IMG_7963.jpg

IMG_7964.jpg

IMG_7965.jpg

IMG_7967.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Can't you put them down to dents after a bird strike Vaughan :smiling3: .

To be honest you don't expect anything like this from the new Airfix kits.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wow, you weren't hanging around Vaughan, that looks good so far. A shame about the parts, hoping you can get spares soon. You weren't kidding about those spars either, no chance of weakened wings that's for sure :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I can't believe it Vaughan. Two dodgy models by different makers ! Well at least your insides look nice and busy, something Revell weren't bothered about.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have the same kit and same sink marks Vaughan. I'll try to fill mine though.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I can't believe how disappointing this kit has turned out to be the fit is awful just tried taping the fuselage together they don't even meet in the middle I've started in ernest sanding the floor/ bomb bay to try and get them to meet. The sink marks are embarrassing and I'm not the only one who's got this issue. Airfix are really going down in my estimations this isn't a short run kit from an obscure manafacturer this is made by a big company that sells worldwide.I think that they've got it wrong in that they've produced an amazing cabin, which nobody will ever see, at the expense of a good external finish. This will probably be my last Airfix model lets hope the Revell one goes together better(and we already have an issue with the canopy). I haven't built Airfix models since I was a Kid they seemed ok then from a child's perspective. I would imagine there are more adult modellers building kits these days and we are I think a bit more discerning. I spent £36.99 on this model and I don't think I've got my monies worth, so come on Airfix pull your finger out and produce something that's worth building. Rant over lets hope I can make something out of this model.

IMG_7972.jpg

IMG_7973.jpg

IMG_7974.jpg

First Name
Dave
I amazed at the problems you have with this kit. Airfix new Spitfire Vb and Hurricane are superb kits. Maybe they are trying to be a bit too ambitious with this one what with all that unnecessary interior detail. I've heard the engine nacelle to wing fit isn't very good either.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have had the same problems and had to use a shim of plasticard for the forward fuselage.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
. I've heard the engine nacelle to wing fit isn't very good either.
It isn't Dave, at the risk of sounding like a broken record my kit has that problem too.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Well that's something to look forward to Dave more fit issues, I'd rather have no cockpit detail than a sunken fuselage. Anyway I will check those engine nacelles out it will give me something to do while I wait for that part replacement from Airfix or maybe make a start on the Revell Shackleton or finish that Dauntless the choice is endless. I think the thing is I would be more accepting if the interior had been less detailed and a few sink marks there but to get the fuselage in such a bad state is unforgivable.

D

dubster72

Well this is one that's coming off my to-do list! Personally I think Airfix need to sort their quality control out in China or India or wherever.

Once they're into full production they seem to fall short of the high standards observed by reviewers.

Hopefully you'll manage to overcome the deficiencies Vaughan

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Well this is one that's coming off my to-do list! Personally I think Airfix need to sort their quality control out in China or India or wherever.
Once they're into full production they seem to fall short of the high standards observed by reviewers.

Hopefully you'll manage to overcome the deficiencies Vaughan
I agree totally Patrick. The funny thing is though, some years ago, I built the Airfix (New tool) Valiant. That thing went together so well, I hardly used any glue, never mind filler. Looks to me like someone has tried a bit of cost cutting !

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Vaughan

It's a real shame the kit has fit issues but I know that, with your modelling skill, these will be sorted. It's funny, but I commented on a Tamiya Caterhan kit yesterday that went together so easily that it left the author with little to do but put it together (he felt that his build experience wasn't satisfying enough). That doesn't diminish your disappointment with the kit however, and I hope these issues can be resolved.

Regards

Paul

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
It's crazy that the fit is so poor but you just have to get on with it and make good. I've also got small fit issues with the Revell Shackleton and the odd sink marks that correspond with locator pins, I suppose unless you pay for a high end kit you always going to have some issues.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Just thought I might do a few sub-assemblies while I wait for that fuselage half( no word from Airfix as yet). So I had a go with the wings. The whole kit is made from very soft plastic in comparison to the Revell Shackleton. So the wings are very bendy to start with, and also warped along the trailing edge on both wings. Tried the engine nacelles wow!!!! what a poor fit it's going to take some serious filling to sort this one out :sad: :mad: I'm getting really fed up with both the kits. Looks like this could be the last 1/72 kits I'll be building in a long time, 1/32 here we come. Maybe it's time to finish off the Dantless.

P4071333.jpg

P4071334.jpg

P4071336.jpg

P4071338.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's bad. As I said earlier Airfix have produced really good kits, but something has certainly slipped. Cost cutting !

I wonder if it's worth sending Airfix those pictures for their comment ?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Must be very disappointing Vaughan , especially when youve got problems with both kits. The moulding quality and fit are just like a limited run kit , not what you expect from a mainstream maker. Im sure you'll crack it though , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Vaughan, like I said in the Revell thread, it's not good from the manufacturer, even more so that this is the second manufacturer to have defects on what must be an expensive kit to purchase. You can bash this into shape. It goes to show how we as modellers have become used to state-of-the-art minimal filler kits. Frustrating, you don't expect these various issues from a modern mould. Still, I look forward to seeing more progress on both of them, the Shackleton was a great aeroplane..