Airfix 1/72 Avro Shackleton

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Just thought I might do a few sub-assemblies while I wait for that fuselage half( no word from Airfix as yet). So I had a go with the wings. The whole kit is made from very soft plastic in comparison to the Revell Shackleton. So the wings are very bendy to start with, and also warped along the trailing edge on both wings. Tried the engine nacelles wow!!!! what a poor fit it's going to take some serious filling to sort this one out :sad: :mad: I'm getting really fed up with both the kits. Looks like this could be the last 1/72 kits I'll be building in a long time, 1/32 here we come. Maybe it's time to finish off the Dantless.
View attachment 153095 View attachment 153096 View attachment 153098 View attachment 153099
I have the same problem with mine Vaughan, here's my kit.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4203

Looks like it'll be good when finished Vaughan :smiling3: Pity about the parts not fitting together though, sometimes something going wrong can put a damper on the whole build experience :sad: but I'm sure you can still move forward from this problem ;) :D

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks guys for the encouragement. It's a real shame as I'm building this one because of the history with my father in-law. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one with problems( I mean that in a positive way as it's obviously not confined to just one kit). I will email Airfix and send some photos of the offending parts. Maybe they'll send me a replacement model as this is just getting ridiculous as all I wanted to do was build the model. Anyway I will plod on in the mean time and email them now.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Here's the repley that I got from Airfix

Thank you, we have received your email, this is an automated response.

If your email was regarding Airfix or Corgi spares please allow up to 28 days.

For all other enquiries we normally endeavour to reply within five working days. However we are currently experiencing longer response times for which we do apologise in advance. We are working to return to our normal service levels as quickly as possible and thank you for your patience at this time.

Please do not reply as this email was generated from an un-deliverable account.

Kind Regards

Hornby Hobbies

So there's not going to be a quick solution to this one:mad:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
.... and I was so looking-forward to getting a Shackleton! :sad:

Considering the reputation both Revell and Airfix have started to create with some of their recent output, these are truly awful! I wonder if the 'high volume' of messages they're dealing with are from the many hundreds of folks disappointed with this heap of j**k?

I know you have the talent to get them knocked into shape, but you shouldn't have to do so many corrections to a new kit. I'd understand it if you'd bought these as 40 year old moulds, but these are new tool kits. Did you say they were more than £30? I wouldn't give you 30p for them!

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Sorry to hear your having problems with this one Vaughn especially with your personal interest. I have heard good things about new toolings from airfix and have bought a couple for the stash (1/48 mind). I don't give up easily but I think I would probably sideline this and wait till airfix come back with a proper response if it's really that bad otherwise I'd just wind myself up and get the hump!

Hope you hear something soon.

Phil

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Yep £36.99 and there's more fit issues. I've just dry fitted the engine nacelle that includes the wheel wells. Great detail but despite that real fit issues even with clamps and a nice step on the leading edge!! I'm giving up the will to live!!!

IMG_8030.jpg

IMG_8031.jpg

IMG_8033.jpg

IMG_8034.jpg

IMG_8036.jpg

IMG_8037.jpg

IMG_8039.jpg

IMG_8040.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I've just received an email from Hornby and this is what they said,

"Thank you for your email, can you supply some images of this and the sink holes and I can then look into this

for you by asking QC and the Airfix team for comments on this for you and see how we can then move forward on

this for you".

So I sent them some images of the faulty parts i.e the fuselage, warped wings and ill fitting engine nacelles. Looks like they're taking this seriously maybe they might even give me a replacement model. So watch this space.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Just an update on the Shackleton regarding Hornbys Hobbies. This has been going on since April and with many images sent and long discussions regarding quality control, I won't go into the nitty gritty, Hornby had agreed to send me a replacement Shackleton free of charge. This arrived today after two replacement kits got lost in the post one was put in my black bin with no card through the door so the kit is now in some landfill site. Anyway the model is now here so I eagerly unpacked it with great expectations with Hornby saying they had fixed the problems with the manufacturing and quality control. guess what. It still has the same sink marks:sad: (replacement is at the top)so out with the filler. This ones going to be put on the back boiler but at least I can make both versions.

20170201_165308_resized.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So no one at Airfix thought to check first before sending it out ? A bit disappointing. But at least they did send you three kits, maybe the others were OK !
On a lighter note, their 1:72 Eindecker is brilliant.

First Name
Alex
Does no one at Hornby try and build these kits first before putting them on sale? No kit is perfect but, this one seems to be particularly bad, you must have used half a tube of filler doing this kit. In contrast I've built 10 kits and I'm not even a quarter of the way through my tube of filler.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I don't suppose you have a spare decal sheet that you don't need? I removed the masking around the cockpit windows on mine today and the yellow dotted line decal came away with the tape.