Airfix 1/72 De Havilland Vampier T11

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I didn't fancy starting a large build this afternoon so I spotted this in the stash and will I enjoyed it so much I completed it :smiling3:

Nice easy build this is , it took me under an hour to build and a further two to complete (a hair dryer is invaluable when your enjoying a build like this )

No problems although I would fit the booms to the top of the wings before putting the underneath on , they can be a struggle to fit

View attachment 77661

View attachment 77662

View attachment 77663

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice build Alan, great to see a Kiwi example. You even got the kiwis flying the correct way! :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers joe I made sure I had them all going the right way , I was going to get aftermarket British decals but I liked the little Kiwi's and thought well NZ is about as close to being British as you can get with ought even being in Britain so I stuck with them :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Now that is a nice clean, simple build that looks so good. Like this one a lot.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Now that is a nice clean, simple build that looks so good. Like this one a lot.Si:smiling3:
Cheers mate I'm pleased you like it :smiling3: it's not as clean as it looks , the silver has reflected the light and not shown up the subtle weathering , I'll make it more pronounced and take some photos in natural light :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers folks this is another new tool from Airfix and it took no time at all to build and when I start something like this I like to finish it

Pleased you like it :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You should get another one Alan. The non-starter set version has British markings including one for a preserved T.11 which is still flying in the UK.

Your weathering is looking pretty good now. RNZAF Vampires wore an overall high speed silver finish, which was a lacquer paint that dulled with age. The weathering suits the ageing HSS finish that I have seen, which is appropriate for a Vampire carrying the Kiwi Roundel which would have been in the early to mid 1970s. Prior to that the roundels contained a silver fern inside the red centre, but as the story goes everyone asked why there was a feather inside the roundel so it was changed to the kiwi. The Strikemaster replaced the Vampire in RNZAF service, and Venoms and Canberras were replaced at the same time by the A-4 Skyhawk.