Airfix 1/72 Halifax

R

rjwood_uk

the time has come for me to make my first Airfix kit since about 1995.

I picked up the Airfix 1/72 Handley Page Halifax B.III for free off a friend, it was still wrapped and im pretty sure its not the 2005 re-issue as the decals are pretty rubish and no choice what so ever.

has anyone ever made this kit?

im not finding it too bad, not too much flash and very little in the way of warping. nothing that cant be fixed with a little filler here and a little sanding there.

one thing i dont miss is Airfix's absolutly diobolical painting instructions!!

anyway, i will post some pictures once its done, im nearly finished bulding it but im guessing its going to take a few days getting it to look right.

B

Bunkerbarge

I still have very fond memories of the old Airfix kits and would love to have the time to put a few together with my current experiences to help. Maybe one day!

I remember making the Short Stirling and being so impressed with the size of the thing. In those days of my youth it didn't even occur to me to paint the black areas so I could make quite a significantly better job of one now.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Halifax, it would look superb with one of the old Airfix Lancasters next to it as well.

R

rjwood_uk

now that brings back memories. my brother made the lancaster when he was younger. i must have been about 6 or 7 but i remembering it beeing really good...although to be honest it was probably rubish seeing as he would have only been about 8-9ish. lol

B

Bunkerbarge

I remember Roy Cross' box art of the Lanc coming in to land with one engine on fire and remembering how fantastic it looked!

R

rjwood_uk

well im just onto the last stages of the build (putting the engine cowlings on)

the cowlings have the exhausts attatched to them. When i go to put them on i find out i have 3 port ones and only one stardboard one and the one that is right the exhaust is in the wrong place so i have had to remove the ehausts and fill in the hols and will have to make new placements once the filler is dryed and sanded.

....to be honest with americans and their law suites im supprised nobody filed a suite against airfix in these resent years.lol

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Remember this is a dated kit,and to be fair Airfix did a good job for the initial price charged,with a bit of reworking the model can be made into a reasonable Halifax B.III with plenty of conversion potential,I have a started Halton transport.

Really good to see Airfix back on the shelves again,even the good old Sunderland moulds have been pressed into service again,well done Hornby Railways !

S

sx976

\ said:
the cowlings have the exhausts attatched to them. When i go to put them on i find out i have 3 port ones and only one stardboard one and the one that is right the exhaust is in the wrong place so i have had to remove the ehausts and fill in the hols and will have to make new placements once the filler is dryed and sanded.
Hopefully you finished up with the exhaust on the left on the port outer and on the right on the other three.

T

tigertc

While we are on the subject of "good old" Airfix. Does anyone know if Hornby have addressed quality issues since being rescued?

I built the D Day commemoration set last year (Which was diabolically bad) and 1/24 bf109 this year. Cost about £5 in filler and 2 days of filling and sanding.

I really cant see myself supporting our great British modelling brand again until i am certain that they have addressed quality!!!!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Still build it and fill it,they are identical mouldings from the original tooling.

Flying boat buffs will be pleased to know that the Short Sunderland is back in the shops again,and that is not a bad kit for its age.