Airfix 1/72 Savoia Marchetti Sm. 79 "Sparviero"

T

Triumph

The SM 79 is my favourite Tri motor after the JU52. So when I came across an Airfix kit I thought I would give it a try. Now I did have ago at a more adventurous colour scheme, that these planes are known to have, but I made a mess of it (I found I can’t do random patches or swirls yet) and I nearly consigned the model to the bin.

Back to the computer for some ideas and I found this website....... Savoia Marchetti Sm. 79 "Sparviero" - Drawings & Profiles

Hooray a scheme that was straight forward to do. This one based around S 79 - 278a Squadriglia, 132° Gruppo Aerosiluranti - Sicily 1942. So although it’s rather bland compared to others, this was the scheme of the torpedo bombers participating in the many actions against the English fleet in the Med in 42. So seeing that the model comes with a dirty great big torpedo slung underneath it…..I was well happy to go with it. Of course the codes are wrong, as I only have what came with the model but I can live with that.

So saved from the bin. Here she is. :smiling3:

C

Caledonia

Looks a really nice model. How did you manage that matt finish?

Excellent work, Derek

T

Triumph

\ said:
Looks a really nice model. How did you manage that matt finish?Excellent work, Derek
Couple of coats of Humbrol Matt varnish Derek

Peter

C

Caledonia

Peter Thanks for that, I have a tin but never used it yet. Glad to see it gives such good results. Cheers Derek

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nicely done, and your excellent photography as usual!

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well folks, it's painfully obvious we got us a real contender here! Yet another superb bit of modelling.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Although I'm an armour builder I do like to see other forms of modelling and this is spot on Peter. Very nice photography, I remember the photos of your 'shed' and how you had the background for your models fastened around your workshop wall. The joining together of the two elements has produced an excellent result, well done.

Ron

selrach

SMF Supporter
Triumph, Beautifully done. Excellent camera work. What type of camera did you use?

T

Triumph

Here you go selrach Just a 3 meg camara thats a few years old now