Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire F Mk 22

B

Builder

My next build is the Airfix Supermarine Spitfire F Mk 22. I will build this along with a Tamiya Mosquito - the build thread for which will be separate. The only reason I am building the two kits together is that they have the same paint scheme, so I will be able to paint them both together.

Build Plan

I will build this into the chamo scheme shown in the instructions. As stated this kit will be painted along with a Tamiya 1/72 Mosquito as well. I will build the kit OOB apart from adding photo etch seat belts. The finishing will be clean with minimal weathering. As with every build my concern is with the build, paint job and finishing, I am not concerned with historical accuracy in the least.

Kit Details (from www.scalemates.com)
Title:Supermarine Spitfire F Mk.22
Number:A02033
Scale:1:72
Type:Full kit
Includes: Plastic sprues, Waterslide decals, Clear parts
Released:2012 | Initial release - new tool
Decal options

1. Supermarine Spitfire F.22
    uk.png
    war.png
    Royal Air Force (1918-Now)
    603 (City of Edinburgh) Sqn. PK433
    Edinburgh | 1951
  2. Supermarine Spitfire F.22
    uk.png
    war.png
    Royal Air Force (1918-Now)
    607 (County of Durham) Sqn. PK553 / RAN / 4
    Cooper Trophy Air Race, Farnborough | July 1948

Box Art

Kit Contents

I hope you all liked the post. As always all comments welcome.

B

Builder

• Here is the first build update

The cockpit was finished and interior details all put in

I then assembled the kit, and started painting. There was some sanding and filling done, and I did not take any photos in between.

Here it is masked with clever putty and the final colour coat being put on.

The propeller and clear parts along with the landing gear parts will be done next.

I hope you all liked the update. All comments welcome.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well don't we all love a Spitfire. It will be nice to see how you finish this one Bob.

B

Builder

Nice one Bob
Well don't we all love a Spitfire. It will be nice to see how you finish this one Bob.

Thanks Ian, Colin

Here is the final update. The kit is complete. Here is the build video

Here are the final updates as well. The paint job was finished, and I gloss coated the model to start applying decals. This was then all done.

I then lost the front canopy. I had to use a spare front canopy from an Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon kit. This is why it looks slightly off. I am not too happy about this but, didnt want to wait around to order a spare one.

Also the final finish was not my best either so not too happy with this kit over all.

Here it is completed

Many more pictures in the Completed Aeroplanes Section here

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/airfix-1-72-supermarine-spitfire-f-mk-22.29008/