Airfix 1/72 Westland sea king

T

T. van Vuuren

After my setback with the MH 53 I got this new tool airfix 1/72 Sea King. I read from the reviews that is builds up well and detail is good.

I hpe so, I need to have an easy build to get some of the lost "mojo" back

Theuns

DSC00521.JPG

B

Builder

Great choice Theuns mate. Ive seen reviews of this and there all food. Would love to see how this turns out. 

T

T. van Vuuren

Pity they dont give decals for the RAF desert scheme, I thing one could go to town with the weathering on that. I dont think I would even atempt the camo in this kit. Maybe the all over green will be cool to.

Theuns

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Pity they dont give decals for the RAF desert scheme, I thing one could go to town with the weathering on that. I dont think I would even atempt the camo in this kit. Maybe the all over green will be cool to.

Theuns

This mark was not operated by the RAF mate. These new tool versions from Airfix are streets ahead of their older Sea King kits.

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm part way through this kit. Not going together too bad. May need a little filler underneath, but that's probably the way I've put it together. O.o

D

Deleted member 5496

A very nice helicopter to build Theuns. It has so much going on around it.

Just finished an Royal Navy 1/48 and it was a joy to build. Why not finish it in Afghanistan garb.

One colour. Also gives the opportunity for effects as the Aghanistan environment played havoc with the fusleage.

Stewart

T

T. van Vuuren

Afghan sounds interesting, will go google it.

I am tempted to to the folded blades and tail but without any suports I am worried it might start sagging over time. But it does make for easy storage.

Theuns

D

Deleted member 5496

Afghan sounds interesting, will go google it.

I am tempted to to the folded blades and tail but without any suports I am worried it might start sagging over time. But it does make for easy storage.

Theuns

Think you will find that the blades just sit on top Theuns. For storage you can separate.

This is where I found all the info for the Afghanistan Seaking.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Afghanistan+Seaking+Pictures&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Stewart

Last edited:
T

T. van Vuuren

Look at this pic, it looks as you say that they just "sit in mid air".

15678582906_8886cb4e84_b.jpg

I was concerned that with time the small glue joint at the rotor hub can become an issue being under constant strain.

What is the colour of the Afgan sea kings? In some pix a green and in the attatched one it looks grey?

Theuns

D

Deleted member 5496

I was concerned that with time the small glue joint at the rotor hub can become an issue being under constant strain.

What is the colour of the Afgan sea kings? In some pix a green and in the attatched one it looks grey?

Theuns

They are green Theuns. But under the Afghanistan sun they lighten plus the sand or dust ,when they take off, acts like a sandblaster as both main and rear rotor do theri job.

Plus, due to the above I presume some work is carried out to protect the bare parts, the fuselage in some cases looks like a patch work quilt.

Stewart

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick

Theuns

That cab is grey, not green, it's an AEW Sea King i.e. not an HC4. Look at that bagged up sticky out thing on the cargo door, that's for the scanner that has been removed, probably for air transportation. The HC4's were dark green, dark green and white or desert pink - generally.

Navy Sea Kings are almost always parked with the blades and aft pylon folded when embarked or hangared. You can see the tip socks fitted to the rotor tips and tied down to lashing rings; the tail rotor blades on this cab have been removed. Only four of the five MR blades fold on a Sea King, the fifth is positioned by the automatic blade fold system in line with the tail boom. When in Northern Ireland the RN detachment had green HC4's and they always folded the blades and tail before towing them into the hangar.

T

T. van Vuuren

The decals I have are for the camo one and an all green one that was based in Somerset 2011.

Would a UK based helo be allot more glossy than one in Afghan I assume?

Theuns

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Not necessarily, I recall the HC4's in Northern Ireland having an almost satin finish overall but over time between washes exhaust soot builds up along the MRGB access doors and along the tail along with the odd oil staining from the dog kennel and around the winch frame.  As always, reference to photos are your best resource.

T

T. van Vuuren

OK, so it would not be a real glossy paint on it then? I would have thought that Naval helos would be glossy for easier cleaning of sea spray, but then paint does fade...

Theuns

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I used to be on 230 Sqn, that was a good cab if I recall, very reliable. That paint scheme was longa after I left the Sqn though.

T

T. van Vuuren

I recall the Pumas we used in the SAAF, what a pretty lookinf aerie. Then they were turned into super pumas  and although a much better and stronger helos I never liked the looks of it.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Sofar the build is going well, the interior has been painted and I need to ssemble it when paint is dry.

Theuns

DSC00553.JPG