Airfix 1932 Chrysler Imperial

G

GeeBee

I bought this model a few years ago off eBay, and apart from building the chassis and some of the body parts, it has sat in a plastic container for more years than I can remember, the reason I bought the kit in the first place was a trip down memory lane.

For years, in my younger modelling days I built only 1/32nd scale kits, mainly because I used to be into slot racing, and the model cars could go on the layout after I had built them, but slowly with work and college I didn't have time for slot racing, I hadn't long stated work at the age of 15, and took a trip into town (Birmingham) as there used to be a cracking model shop there, and there on the shelf was a "NEW" Airfix kit, the 1932 Chrysler Imperial, and in the bigger scale of 1/25th, so with my wage packet burning a hole in my pocket I bought it, so this was the first ever 1/25th scale kit I ever bought, I got it home and was shocked to see how big this thing was compared to the 1/32nd scale stuff that I had been building, the chassis is 8 and a half inches long !!

I built it, and hand painted it, but the guy in the bodyshop taught me how to thin enamel paint and how I could brush paint without getting brush marks, I did it in Airfix Oxford blue with a light blue body, and tan hood and interior, I was pretty happy with the results, but it didn't last long, as Mom went round like Willow the Wisp, and knocked it off my window sill, and come home to find it in pieces in a box, sadly it never got rebuilt.

The main reason this has been sitting in a container so long is that Ii couldn't decide on the colour as I didn't want to do it the same colour as I did all them years ago, and although I had looked though all the photo's on Google, I still couldn't decide, but over the weekend I was having a tidy and going through some of my paints, and come across some old BMC paints, Limeflower and Tundra Green, and to me, looked a perfect combination, so that's the reason in getting my arse into gear and getting a start on this on, I will let the paint dry off for a week before wet sanding and polishing it out, the interior will be done in different shades of tan.

C

Curtis

Looking great so far Geoff!

Have you finished it yet? The thread was posted a while ago.

I'm definitely going to have to start thinning my paints, I also use a brush and it can really spoil a model when you can see brush strokes =(

G

GeeBee

So sorry for not updating this thread, I took a break from modelling mainly due to health issues, and I have a stay in hospital coming up in the next couple of weeks, but here is a few photo's of the Chrysler finished ...

B

backonthecase

That is awesome - well done! I cant see a single brush mark! The combination of colours works well too, I'd not have thought much if someone said "I'm gona paint this car 2 tone green" but it works really well!!

Stuart

M

mobear

fantastic paint job,and the whole model looks fabulous,5*s is well deserved for this build.and good luck in hospital

mobear

C

Caledonia

Hi Geoff, Love the colours, and amazed at your hand brushing skills, something I would love to be able to do - any tips? 5 Star from me too. Cheers Derek

F

Fenlander

What an amazing finish!!!! If I could brush paint like that I would never use an airbrush, stunning model.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb job geoff, the finish is perfect. The colours work great together and the whole build is flawless, 5 star job. Best wishes for the hospital stay , cheers tony

G

GeeBee

Sorry for confusing you, this one was airbrushed using cellulose lacquer, in my original post I mentioned hand painting the one I build way back in 1978, this one was a trip down memory lane, back when I was 15 I didn't even know what an airbrush was ....

Most of the chrome on this one was done using Alclad lacquer, I love the stuff, I'm building a Stutz Bearcat at the moment and I've used polished brass for all the metal work, nothing looks like metal on plastic than Alclad.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Superb result there Geoff. If I recall I have built the same kit. Mine ended up in Cream and Chocolate brown, was painted with a very hairy stick and looked like it was too.

I believe it was last seen flying over the fence in the garden, leaving a trail of molten plastic behind it as the jet-X engine went amok... Ha ha Happy days....... sorry

That is a wonderful build of a great classic American icon. Five shiny stars from me as well.

Ian M