Airfix Jet Provost 'Red Pelicans'.

T

Trekkie_John

My christmas project was the 'Aldi special' Jet Provost, and enjoyed every minute of it. Being someone that builds armour 9 times out of 10 i thought i'd get out of my comfort zone and give this one a go. I wanted to go raspberry ripple (red & white) as i remember them from my childhood but that would mean waiting for the decals, and this was something to do over christmas. So it got built straight outta the box, the only thing i added was the exhaust nozzle. And that was made from the Kenworth W900 exhaust i build a few months back.

And i'm glad i go fishing as this needed 2.5g of nose weight, i found an old fishing bomb and it fitted great. The only thing is, it was more like 8 grams so that nose is staying put haha! She built up nicely with just a little filling here & there, and the new tooling is great. Even the tyres weighted (nice job Airfix). Onto the paint, well, it's red and lots of it lol. The only thing that got me scared was the weathering. Seen a good few videos on youtube for ideas and thought i'd give it a go, so with oil paints in hand i proceeded to mix up some red and black and slapped it all over. Left it for a while then started cleaning all off, this is the time i impressed myself. Very happy how it turned out and it won't be the last aircraft i build, it's nice to get out from your comfort zone once in a while.

Have fun, John

DSCF7984.JPGDSCF7985.JPGDSCF7986.JPGDSCF7987.JPGDSCF7988.JPGDSCF7989.JPGDSCF7990.JPGDSCF7991.JPGDSCF7992.JPGDSCF7993.JPG

P

Polux

Looks magnificent John!
I love the colour...it has a great tone. The work on the panel lines is really cool!!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb job John , it looks fantastic and great job on the panel lines. cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lovely job John. This kit is proving very popular