Airfix Vickers Valiant (and two old friends)

S

STRAT'71

My daughter's fiance is into that stuff.

He has been to Liverpool and Manchester with his Stormtrooper's gear to wow the natives.

Now that is a big Airfix kit.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
No problem Ron,

But has Mrs Ron not heared the runours about Darth Vader then ??

William,

here are my bendy bits of metal,

View attachment 31612View attachment 31613

Originally it only supported the Victor above the Vulcan, then finally the Valiant came out and I had to modifiy it. So, if I was building one for both planes at once (one sits on the desk) it would be a bit neater. On the left as you look, the new bar I've added runs straight down to the desk and stops there. Whereas on the right, the new bar runs out onto the desk just to help with stability (this might give the impression of three bars being used, but actually there's four) Oh yes, when finished, paint it the same colour as the wall behind it, this helps to loose the frame a bit. Unless of course you've got wall paper on the walls, then your going to need some very small bits of paper !

Regards

Colin M....

View attachment 36630

View attachment 36631

Upper frame.jpg

Lower frame.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Colin

That three beautiful birds 5* from me.

Vaughan.

C

Caledonia

Hi Colin, fantastic job on the awesome three, the stand is pretty neat too; saw plenty of Vulcans and Victors in the 1960's but never did see a Valiant, maybe they were grounded by then with their wing fatigue problems. Cheers Derek

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Very nice builds there Colin, the weathering looks great under the Victor. Looking at the first photos though i wouldn't like to take off from that runway, sorry i'll get me coat.

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Now that is a great display!

I guess that that could also be built from Acrylic rod then it would all but vanish.

Nice one Colin

Ian M

First Name
Mike
Just seen this Colin, all three look superb but I particularly like the Valiant. I was in the UK a few weeks ago and took a drive out to Cosford, that Cold War hangar is something else (though everything's so tightly crammed in it's hard to photograph the a/c). Anyway, great job on your V-bombers.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well John, the Victor is indeed a big dirty bird. I've probably over done it, but I like it that way. With the Valiant I restricted myself to just a panel line wash, not even any preshading whcih is something I normally always have a go at. My runway, it's for experienced pilots only !

I'd be careful with acrylic rod Ian. These three are all weighted so they can sit on the ground, which means they all weigh in a bit.

Thanks for your comments Mike. Let's say the other two are at either end of the spectrum (clean and dirty) and I managed to get the Valiant somewhere near the middle !

Regards

Colin M.....

T

treyzx10r

Colin sorry for just now finding this do'nt ,know how I missed it. Great looking trio and very nicely done,5 well deserved stars

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks Trey,

Trio, well yes, I thought I was finished, but I've just discovered the new Airfix PR9 canberra - in anti flash white - there's a chance it was used for photographing the bomb drops and collecting air samples. I better get some more white paint in !

Colin M.........

L

loubo1983

the three of them look stunning together. I'm sure i have seen pictures of the real aircraft in similar situations. Ie taxing, and on the pan. will need to go have a hunt now.

well done.