AK / Mig streaks & washes help needed!!!

P

phikoleoputra

Hi all,

First of all Happy New Year to you all and hope this 2017 will be better than last year for us all :smiling3:

I currently build this old Revell Trawler kit and want to experiment with washes and streaks, I painted the thing woth ENAMEL and gloss coat it with Alclad Gloss Klear Kote, left it over night.

Then this morning I try to use the streaks, then used their AK WHITE SPIRIT to soften the streaks, but my base paint comes of when i brushed it with the WHite Spirit.

Am I doing it wrong? What the heck happened, so now it is weathering gone bad. So sad and gutted with myself. Help needed.

Thanks
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

First Name
colin
Hi Leo
It looks as though you haven't let the varnish cure for long enough I normally apply two coats over a 48 hours then wait another 48 hours before I start weathering
Hope this helps

D

dubster72

Colin & Polux are spot on Leo. I use enamels all the time & seal them with an acrylic finish. But like Colin I leave at least 48 hours for that to cure.
Patience is the watchword ;)

P

phikoleoputra

Colin & Polux are spot on Leo. I use enamels all the time & seal them with an acrylic finish. But like Colin I leave at least 48 hours for that to cure.
Patience is the watchword ;)
But it works also with the Alclad I used right guys?

D

dubster72

Alclad Gloss Klear Kote (god, I detest American spelling!) is a mineral spirit based product & so isn't going to add the protection you need.

A general rule of thumb is to alternate between oil-based & acrylic products with each coat so they don't interact. But leaving plenty of time between each is (IMHO) quite necessary so each coat is cured, rather than just dry.

First Name
colin

Not sure about that mate alcad is lacquer based.
I know some people use it with enamel washes.
I'm reluctant as I think the white spirit in it may reactivate the lacquer.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Leo,

I checked the labels on my bottles of Mig washes (I'm not sure what brand you are using) and they clearly say to use them over an acrylic paint/varnish which pretty much aligns with the comments made by other posters.

We have a saying in the aviation world - RTFM...I think you just learned a lesson the hard way Leo.

image.jpeg

D

dubster72

I think the problem is that Alclad make both oil-based & acrylic gloss varnishes.

The Gloss Klear Kote that Leo has used is oil-based. Alclad Aqua Gloss is acrylic. That would have been the better choice to use.

P

phikoleoputra

Guess I'll stick with Mr. Hobby Lacquer gloss coat then just to be safe.

I think the problem is that Alclad make both oil-based & acrylic gloss varnishes.

The Gloss Klear Kote that Leo has used is oil-based. Alclad Aqua Gloss is acrylic. That would have been the better choice to use.
Yep I just smelled the Alclad, it it smells like zippo lighter fluid.

Thanks for the help folks, I'm gonna use the old hard smelly Mr. Hobby Lacquer again like usual then.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have to agree with an acrylic varnish before using enamel washes. I use Alclad Aqua Gloss sprayed at a low psi, a second coat not less than 5 hours later and then left at least 24 hours to cure. The curing time can vary depending on humidity so what others say about leaving it 48 hours is sensible.