Alan 45 Battle of Britain Aircraft , RAF, Luftwaffe

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Some audio here of Johnnie Johnson and Douglas Bader at a BCATP reunion in Canada in the 1970s. Bader relates the well known story of his arrival at "two hundred and forty two squadron, brackets, Canadian, brackets, Royal Air Force".
The BCATP was the WW 2 British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. Many airmen were trained under its auspices in Canada and other Commonwealth countries.

http://spaads-reunion.ca/trivia/aceshigh.mp3

Cheers

Steve
Thanks for that Steve it gave a good inside as well as being funny cheers :smiling3:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Wow Alan this is a mammoth project but your making a great start I can't wait to see it all come together on that large piece of mdf well done mate on coming up with such a great idea good luck with the rest

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Now I got a bit carried away last night will watching the footy and realised this morning that I should post up the box lid and sprues , this is what is up next

The Airfix 1/48 Ju 87 B2 stuka View attachment 104769

View attachment 104770

View attachment 104771

View attachment 104772

and this is what I did last night View attachment 104773

This isn't the nicest looking kit ,raised panel lines, lots of rivets but it does go together rather well , on test fitting and actual fitting this fits very nicely, the office is very basic but it doesn't look to bad and will look ok when painted

That it for now :smiling3:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great work so far Alan , particular Kudos for the hand painted nose art on the Hurricane. The cockpit on the Stuka looks quite nice , i'm sure with a bit of painting and washes it'll look great , compared to some of the old airfix cockpits (seat on pins, pilot -thats your lot !) it looks positively superdetailed!! cheers tony

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Tony your right the cockpit is quite detailed and ive put the first coat on

View attachment 104775

Ive chosen a black green for a base instead of proper colour and then a wash as I wasn't too happy with the hurricane cockpit I painted

This will have a couple of dry brushes of the field grey ( grey/green) just to pick up the detail :smiling3:

image.jpg

First Name
Dave
Just caught up with this Alan.The Hurricane looks great.Ive made a couple of those Stuka's and it's not that bad a kit.

First Name
Dave
How does the Stuka fit into your BoB airfield diorama?.Is it going to be overhead dive bombing the airfield?.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
No mate ive had to change it from the 242 squadron I had planned, to finish it how I wanted would take years because if your going to do something like this it has to be done right and there are things I want to do so I asked if I could change it to have smaller dios of every plane and if so do other things set during the BoB :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wow, that was quick, and all painted in situ as well, no idea how you do that but it looks pretty good from here Alan. So I guess you now have an excess stock of Hurricanes?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Joe , ive found a great new way to build that saves a lot of time and you can do multiple kits , in the evenings I sit and build the kit in its entirety but leave it in the sections as in the instructions, then all I have to do is paint and assemble , when I come to painting the hull/shell of a model like this I paint one side usually the underside then leave to dry for a couple of hours then paint the second coat if it's sufficiently dry , so in a day starting at Seven in the morning I can paint an entire aircraft still having time to do my work as well ( my work is all home based) so in a few days I can complete a build and be halfway through another depending on how detailed the kit is :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
All decaled up now and they've settled back enough to photo but I'll leave it over night to set properly then it's matt coat time , I wouldn't matt it at this point but with all the rivets and raised panel lines it helps to keep the wash where you want it instead of spreading out , it saves dry brushing time :smiling3: View attachment 104993

View attachment 104994

View attachment 104995

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Here it is complete, I went a little over the top with my wash but I think it's turned out ok :smiling3: View attachment 105104

View attachment 105105

in this next one I took a close up of the surface to show the worn look ive given it, I think it's come out ok as the scale seems to work as you can see from the two photos above it looks more grubby just like it would at the same distance if it was full size View attachment 105106

this is just a simple dry brush with Vallejo oily steel :smiling3: View attachment 105107

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice one Alan. Your Stuka looks suitably war worn and used.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Now I come to the next aircraft in this little sig for the BoB and it's airfixs new tool spitfire MkI a nice looking kit but I've been tol it has its problems when attaching the cockpit well we will see

I've decided to to do pilot officer Eric Locks spitfire as it was at the beginning of the BoB in No 41 squadron RAF Caterrick :smiling3:

View attachment 106234

View attachment 106235

View attachment 106236

View attachment 106237

I have made a small start but only the first two pages I got itchy last night :smiling3: View attachment 106238

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I have decided to make my own seat and harness out of tamiya tape , I just cut cut a piece off and folded it until I was happy for the seat and cut off strips for the straps of the harness ,

View attachment 106239

image.jpg