Alclad questions

T

T. van Vuuren

I have some Alcoad 2 Pollished Alluminium in the post on the way and need some technical advice please.

I know it is sprayed over a gloss black base to give it a feeling of "depth"

How long does it take to cure?

Can decals be aplied directly over the alclad, or do I seal it with something first like we normally do? Will Future and Tamiya acrylic work over alclad?

Can it (bare alclad) be handled with bare fingers and not leave fingermarks?

As Alclac is a lacure, will something like testors metalizer lacures work if a drop or two is added in the AB cup to pollished allu to give a slightly different collour for different pannels?

Any imput welcome

Thanx

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Alclad dries very quickly,I've masked it after a few hours. Whatever gloss black you use as a base give it plenty of time to cure,forty eight hours is a safe bet.

You can decal onto Alclad but equally you can seal it with Future or similar. Applying a varnish has (in my opinion) a negligible effect on the normal finishes and a slight effect on the highly polished ones.

I've sprayed acrylic paint over Alclad but not Tamiya so unless someone else has tried I'd give it a test before going at a model!

You can handle it,it isn't "soft" or fragile but treat it with the respect you would any other finish.

I add drops of black enamel to Alclad to give different shades with no difficulty. Don't know about those Testors products.

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Steve, so normal Tamu\iya or Humbrol enamel will do for different shades?

Here in SA there is no shop the keeps Alclad products so I have to mail oreder it at very high costs (arround 11 squid per bottle!) But ah well, if you need it,you need it hey!

Does micro sol affect the alclad when decaling atall??

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Does micro sol affect the alclad when decaling atall??

Theuns
I give mine a coat of Klear/Future first (I rarely used the highly polished finishes) but I've not heard of any problems with Microsol on unsealed Alclad.

Cheers

Steve