Alex's 1:72 Italeri A10 Thunderbolt

First Name
Alex
This is going to be my first build thread.

Normally, I post up my finished work but this time I will do it in stages

Below is the box shot and sprue shots, more to come

20171126_140022_gwvlfi.jpg

20171126_140135_idcpsx.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A warthog, it will be nice to see it built. I haven't seen one done in ages.

J

John Rixon

Big fan of these myself! Whe I was a kid, our house was in the flight path of Bentwaters, near woodbridge in Suffolk. Very near, I might add, and we had very low flying jets over our house so frequently that we got to not notice them really, except they did interfere with the TV when coming over. One day, I intend to medel the 3 main aircraft over the years we lived there - The F101 Voodoo, F4 Phantom and then finally the A10 Warthog! The A10 was whisper quiet compared to the Phantoms, so we grew to love them.

First Name
Alex
Big fan of these myself! Whe I was a kid, our house was in the flight path of Bentwaters, near woodbridge in Suffolk. Very near, I might add, and we had very low flying jets over our house so frequently that we got to not notice them really, except they did interfere with the TV when coming over. One day, I intend to medel the 3 main aircraft over the years we lived there - The F101 Voodoo, F4 Phantom and then finally the A10 Warthog! The A10 was whisper quiet compared to the Phantoms, so we grew to love them.

The Warthog is also quite a slow aircraft compared to most other modern jets. I remember reading somewhere that a couple have been shot down before or at least severely damaged by live fire.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The A10 was whisper quiet compared to the Phantoms, so we grew to love them.
I did some work at Bentwaters in the '80s, and they certainly aren't quiet when they're taking off outside the hangar you're working on!

Pete

J

John Rixon

You have to remember that these things are relative!! Two Phantoms, fairly close to each other at what must have been a hundred feet or so, shook the air! Quite a few Starfighters too.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I should think they shook the ground John, not just the air!

Pete

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I live quite close to Northolt. There were Typhoons stationed there during the London Olympics, when they went over everyone knew about it. :D

First Name
Alex
Next update:

Fuselage bonded and filled ready to be sanded down and wings bonded plus jet exhausts with first coat of metalic steel. Hope it sands down well

20171206_201306_x1poli.jpg

First Name
Alex
Ok so here's another update and i'm not 100% sure about the dark camo on this, the light undercoat seems to be a good match but to me, the darker grey seems like it has too much of a blueish hue to it? what do you think?

the last two photos are my references and I will be weathering this one a bit but not sure if it's going to get the desired effect. Each photo I see of the warthog seems to have different tints of grey probably due to the lighting so it's difficult to get a really close match.

20171231_033521_ojb5cq.jpg

20171231_033441_ifutpy.jpg

warthog18_ximvyl.jpg

warthog2_wydi5a.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking great Alex , i love the A10 too , in fact ive got this kit in the stash in a Tamiya reboxing so im keen to see yours go together. The grey looks fine to me ,as you say it looks different in every photo anyway and when youve weathered it a bit it will blend in . cheers tony

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm in agreement with Tony on both. A great build and the grey looks good, once weathered and a Matt coat on it should be ok.

First Name
Alex
Now glossed and panel lines filled in with dark grey as I think black would pop out too much, also used a 4b pencil in some areas and the good thing with that is when you smudge it, it helps to create a more weathered look plus you can still use low odour white spirit to clean up areas that are too smudged. Currently working on the undercarriage stuff and other small bits

20180109_054106_u9b8dl.jpg