Almost There Ju 88

M

Mustang69

She's almost finished. Last coat drying then little bits like wheels, propeller and antenna go on and finally canopy masking comes off.

Some of you may have picked up I've been calling her the swearing spitting model due to the bad fitting and amount of filling and sanding needed. You may also remember some of the funny typical newby mistakes I mentioned, like the panic wiping with thinners. Have I mentioned, I was so angry that the engines didn't fit for an open display, that I cut off two exhausts on each side of the right engine to try and get the fit to work... look carefully at the pics. In the end, i dismantled the engines and display the exhausts with the engine covers closed, very bad fit that I decided not to fill to see the end result after painting compared to the bad fits that I did fill and sand.

So, pics attached, for your amusement, but I've enjoyed her and she's given me a lot of practice and I've learned a lot, which is what I wanted. Brush painting skills are getting better. Thanks for all your advice along the way where I chipped in on other threads. Will post the final pics when all the bits and bombs and guns are attached. Oh, pilot's head is a bit flat, if you're wondering. Canopy wouldn't fit otherwise, so I had to file the poor guy's had down a bit ;)

Frikkie

View attachment 56297

View attachment 56298

View attachment 56299

View attachment 56300

View attachment 56301

View attachment 56302

View attachment 56303

View attachment 56304

2.JPG

4.JPG

6.JPG

10.JPG

14.jpg

25.jpg

27.JPG

30.jpg

M

mobear

bomber pilots didnt need brains lol,darn good job so far though

mobear

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It looks like you're winning with that one.

I like to fit pilots myself and they often don't fit to well. Rather than filing their heads I remove their lower legs at around ankle or knee level (which are usually not visible in the closed cockpit) and file their arses to make them sit lower. It's pretty radical surgery with no anaesthetic :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

M

Mustang69

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I should have thought of your methods Steve, rather than filing the head..... oops. Pilot was already stuck down and I haven't quite tried disassembly yet after gluing. But accidental disassembly has occurred ... ;)

See pics of the the Ju 88 finished. She's getting packed up tonight, dropping her off as a gift to my cousin's son tomorrow in another province while on a work trip. The wheels and undercarriage do look a bit wide, sagging, like she's way overloaded, African style.

I struggled a bit with the Tamiya masking tape on the canopy. The canopy lines weren't so clear, so they came out a bit thicker than they should.

Decided to leave trying the washing of panel lines underneath for the next model. The scribed lines just weren't so deep any more after the paints and clear coats and I think I would have cleaned all the washing mix off after the first go. Not that I have had any practice with that at all.

I do need some advise regarding masking and paint lines. All the yellow was painted and, for example, the yellow band on the fuselage behind the decal plane markings, you can see from the photos, the lines are a bit thick and the step off where the masking was kinda obvious. th humbrol lemon yellow colour was a bit thin and I had to apply four coats before I couldn't see the green underneath anymore, which is why it came out thick. How do you smooth it out a bit after taking the masking off. If I try sanding, it marks the paint in an obvious manner. I only do paint brushing remember, so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Frikkie

View attachment 56341

View attachment 56342

View attachment 56343

View attachment 56344

View attachment 56345

View attachment 56346

View attachment 56347

View attachment 56348

View attachment 56349

View attachment 56350

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
She does look a bit heavy :smiling3:

Nice job on the finish though,and that canopy masking doesn't look so bad to me.

Light colours like yellow are always a bit tricky. I try to spray them first,more than covering where I want them. I then mask off the area to remain yellow (or white etc) and paint the rest of the model before removing the masking to reveal (hopefully) a nice neat tactical marking. This also works for those pesky yellow propeller blade tips on British aircraft. The darker colours will cover the lighter ones much better and you should be able to avoid building up that ridge against the masking.

Cheers

Steve

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A great looking Ju 88 frikkie, and thanks for the paint tip Steve, I'll be using that one myself.

Tony.

T

treyzx10r

Frikkie nice looking Ju88! Do'nt beat yourself up about the canopies they look fine to me,especiaaly for a Ju88 with all those panes(pains) and I'm with Steve on painting the stipes. I sometimes forget to do it first however and have found that when painting yellow over a dark color it helps to base it with a very light grey or even white as it covers better. I've also had limited success sanding with 1000 grit wet very gently after its dried a day or 2. Hope that helps ,cheers Trey

M

Mustang69

Thanks for the compliments and advice.

Will be trying out the tips definitely.

Next model the Italeri 1:72 Stuka B2 - kit looks great.

D

Danny

Hi Frikkie, great effort on that Ju, I have that sitting waiting on a box opening and Im sure I will put your learning and the advice you got to good use..

Danny

First Name
Michael
Great job Frikkie, good advice from Steve, dark colours over lighter ones is the way to go. Sounds like you've got the bug, you'll builds will improve with each model, well done. M

K

Kressy13

Great looking 88 mate. I'm with everyone else, always try and do the lighter colours first. Top job regardless.

Cheers

Kresten

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great looking 88 frikkie, the canopy looks fine to me. cheers tony