always a first time for everything

P

Paul P

Hi all, long time since i posted but i thought id share a few pics with you. Im sculpting my very first horse, changed and converted a few but never sculpted, and its also 200mm 1/9th scale so quite big, and i thought if im doing a horse i might as well put a rider on him. So because im more interested in the horse im going to use a bust to go with it and add the legs to make a full figure.

heres the bust im using its MMM Chassuer Cheval officer

View attachment 121334

and this is the famous painting that its from

View attachment 121335

First of all i worked out the dimensions for the horse and made a rough shape for the head and neck, and with pictures of horses heads stuck all around the bench added clay here and there until i got a rough shape of a horses head

View attachment 121336

View attachment 121337

View attachment 121338

View attachment 121339

Looking at the various pics i have horses heads come in all manner of shapes and sizes, and i think if you look at the painting the horses head seems to be slightly small, however mine needs some more work but the general shape is getting there

Untitled-1-copy9.jpg

An_Officer_of_the_Imperial_Horse_Guards_Charging.jpg

DSCF4466.jpg

DSCF4467.jpg

DSCF4468.jpg

DSCF4469.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Amazing work Paul, so far. Amazing.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Holy hell!!! That's amazing work so far Paul

Lee :smiling3:

P

Paul P

Cheers guys its a first for me so a large learning curve and a huge amount of detail to go on the horse bridle :sad:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
sheesh.....some amazing skill there!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I real real ,like this one Paul,

this is some think that I would like to get,a great pose from the painting as well,

very nice work on the head so far like how your doing it showing the lines ,and mostly around the eyes,

as a lot of people never give much detail to them,

do like the bust of the Chassuer Cheval officer,as well,will be stunning when done,

will look most forward to seeing this one progress, :D

makes me very happy to see you posting again with us , :smiling3:

D

dougie

That looks amazing mate, really nice work, great subtle work

L

Laurie

That Paul is brilliant. Some talent to do all of that.

There is an artist within you.

Even if you did no more that is a brilliant piece of

work.

Laurie

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great to have you back Paul with your amazing works. You are a truly gifted artist and I love looking at your works. I know you are very busy with you commissions and all but do you think you will ever finish your figure master class thread you started as I have all the necessary tools and putty still sitting in the draw awaiting part two. Cheers John.

P

Paul P

Thanks for all the great comments guys and gals, John i would love to get back into the blog, hopefully i should have more time soon so we can take it up again, you can always crack on and have a go and put some pics up, you can also have a look on you tube and search for a guy called David Lemon, a fantastic sculpter

D

Deleted member 3568

Wow I couldn't even make a convincing looking leaf out of clay at school that is outstanding.

J

John Rixon

What staggers me about this is, that even at full scale, a horses head is a highly complex thing to sculpt. At this scale, it is insanely difficult - and Ive seen a few, I can tell you (as someone who's worked in Art Schools for 30 odd years!!). You clearly have a natural gift for this, which I can tell you, is rare. Or, to put it another way, I is, like, well gobsmacked innit.

P

Paul P

cheers guys, there is a bit more to do to the head shape, the top part needs to be a bit more curved and then on to the elaborate bridle

L

Laurie

\ said:
What staggers me about this is, that even at full scale, a horses head is a highly complex thing to sculpt. At this scale, it is insanely difficult - and Ive seen a few, I can tell you (as someone who's worked in Art Schools for 30 odd years!!). You clearly have a natural gift for this, which I can tell you, is rare. Or, to put it another way, I is, like, well gobsmacked innit.
Very right John. Showed my wife Pauline the pictures. She said very good indeed until she reached the one with the thumb which gives scale.

She said unbelievable.

However I should state it is a phrase she uses regularly to describe me. :rolleyes:

Laurie

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thud - Jaw hitting the floor :smiling3: amazing work, cant wait ( and i mean that very much) the rest of this, follow button clicked.

P

Paul P

Hi all, many thanks for the comments, its much appreciated, i have been working on the head and the beauty of sculpy is that, until its baked, it stays soft so you can go bakc and change things as they go. ive altered the head a bit, the eyes were to far apart and there should be a straight line from the ears to the nose so that got a bit of adjustment, i then decided to start on the bridle, as i said before from the picture its a very ornate, elaborate affair. the way i do the straps is to roll out some clay put it in position and then flatten it removing any surplus as i go, you can then get the straps to he thickness and width that you want

View attachment 121525

View attachment 121526

buckles were then added and the ornate strap ends using fine tools and syringe needles.

more to follow

DSCF4470.jpg

DSCF4471.jpg

I

Icabod

That is a very impressive modelling and is looking very good.