am i on the safe side?

L

Levi van den Berg

Hello i airbrush in my attic it's pretty big and has 2 big windows that i always open. I only airbrush like 1 time a month ( vacation maybe 3 times ) for max 40 min each time. But i use 3 euro dust masks. Is this safe because i know a respirator is recommended but i dont want to go to buy new filters each time i build a model kit because alot of the time there is a month break between model kits because of school. so is it safe to wear dust masks in my situation or do i need to buy a respirator?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Levi
Welcome to the forum.
I think a lot will depend on what you are spraying. Acrylics are far less of a problem than enamels and lacquers are even more unpleasant.
Jim

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
How much is a new set of lungs going to cost you?? :thinking:

I bet a respirator is far cheaper. :tongue-out3:

L

Levi van den Berg

I bet a respirator is far cheaper. :tongue-out3:
Yeah your right I'll buy one this week. But is it even possible to wear those things with glasses on

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Yes, although you may find if you breathe our through your nose they steam up. I wear a respirator and safety goggles when I'm woodworking and that happens to me. I find if I breathe through my mouth it's not as bad.

Better still, get a painting extaction booth with a vent pipe you can sling out the window, that's what I use for airbrushing. You can pick up a basic unit for 60-70 Euros.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

feqds3.jpg

if you are opening windows it would be easy to buy (or even make) a spray booth and vent out of the open window.......get rid of it all that way.......................oh, and switch to acrylics :smiling6::smiling6::smiling6::smiling6:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
A good 3m respirator will set you up for years, and probably work out cheaper than dust masks in the long run because you only have to change cartridges not the whole mask. You don’t have to change the cartridges every use either. They are made for long term usage. At your specified spraying rate they will probably last you several years without need to change. Look up “respirators” as there was a thread that discussed it a while ago. You can wear them with glasses as well, I do frequently
Cheers
Tim

L

Levi van den Berg

A good 3m respirator will set you up for years, and probably work out cheaper than dust masks in the long run because you only have to change cartridges not the whole mask. You don’t have to change the cartridges every use either. They are made for long term usage. At your specified spraying rate they will probably last you several years without need to change. Look up “respirators” as there was a thread that discussed it a while ago. You can wear them with glasses as well, I do frequently
Cheers
Tim
Thanks for the advice I'll take a Little break from airbrushing till I get a respirator and I always wear glasses because otherwise I can't see lol.
I hope there is no damage to my lungs but I don't think there is because I only painted 2 model without mask and 4 with dust masks in 3 years time

S

Stevekir

But lots of sprays involve a solvent as well as the active ingredient. They are in the form of a vapour or gas when sprayed and I don't think there is anything that protects you from that (except a deep sea diver's outfit).

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Steve mate, that’s not correct. A proper chemical respirator will remove both particulates and solvents. It’s what separates them from cheap dust masks...something that is A2P3 rated or similar will do anything we need and more.
Have a look at 3M products if you need convincing.
Cheers
Tim

S

Stevekir

Steve mate, that’s not correct. A proper chemical respirator will remove both particulates and solvents. It’s what separates them from cheap dust masks...something that is A2P3 rated or similar will do anything we need and more.
Have a look at 3M products if you need convincing.
Cheers
Tim
Thanks.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry, I should have said, the A part is the chemical clearing capability and the P rating is the dust clearing capability...something like a 5000 or 6000 series half mask with cartridges will set you back about forty quid, well worth the money....have a look at amazon..
Cheers
Tim

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well said Tim
And welcome to Levi.
I did a lot of spraying at work , using cellulose and other nasty chemicals . I wear glasses and had no problem. The filters will have a date on them stating when the life of the filter core ends .

John