Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Smashing build, bub! :D

That rigging gives me hope for my 1/48 DH2!!:rolleyes:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That is excellent Laurie ......... and then I realised it is 1:72 ....... Fantastic.

Peter

S

Stevekir

Very nice clean build. I think the blue and pale cream paint scheme is very pretty. Although not a sleek plane like Jennifer Aniston, more Vanessa Feltz, it is very attractive and interesting. If I may say on the backgrounds, these look nice but the size of the rocks make the first photo, for example, look like the plane is about to crash. Perhaps much smaller "rocks" made of rock chippings would be good.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Very nice clean build. I think the blue and pale cream paint scheme is very pretty. Although not a sleek plane like Jennifer Aniston, more Vanessa Feltz, it is very attractive and interesting. If I may say on the backgrounds, these look nice but the size of the rocks make the first photo, for example, look like the plane is about to crash. Perhaps much smaller "rocks" made of rock chippings would be good.
Thanks for your comments.

Yes you are right Steve. It was a long photo session. Had to keep adjusting 3 lights to try and capture light between the wings. The model is suspended by mini stretch nylon running up thro mini holes in the shelf. Kept having to adjust these to get angles for the photo. So When I was editing the photos I realised that rock was looking a bit stupid. Unfortunately by that time patience had run out. But the final position of the aircraft is midway between the two shelves so the rocks have no influence.

The large Jersey Granite stones are necessary to give the impression of a break between sky and airfield. If you go down to Yelverton Devon you will find similar sized racks where the old airfield was located. Not to forget this is not a diorama just a shelf but with a semblance of an airfield.

Laurie

N

noble

Beautiful work Laurie and the background just finishes off a top notch build.

scott

D

Doug Hughes

Fantastic, Laurie. I particularly love the rigging (complete with little 'nodes' at the points where the wires cross - I'm sure there's a technical term for these), and the way the shading shows up the ribs without exaggerating them.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Vanessa Feltz,attractive and interesting?!!!.You need to get out more Steve!.Jennifer Anniston is gorgeous though..

M

Mike

Crikey O'Reilly that is amazing!!!! I'd place a great build award, but I'm not sure you went through enough effort with all that rigging!!!!!!!!!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great result Laurie. The shading of the paint really works well. And clearly rigging is no longer an esoteric art for you anymore.

T

treyzx10r

Hard to believe thats 1/72 if I had'nt known I would've geussed 1/48! Awesome job Laurie! 5 star build very nicely done Sir!

L

Laurie

\ said:
1/72?-WOW!!
Thanks Grumpa and to all who gave their comments. Much appreciated after you have finished a model for it to be appreciated I would not be honest unless I said I liked it.

I had thought that I would not ever build another 1/72 but my youngest son and his finance gave me this plate and here it is with probably the Belfast in the Background. And no Derek will not be building that one. But I will be having another go at a 1/72 - with rigging :eek:

Laurie

View attachment 97791

Plate.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Superb build, very informative build thread, awesome all round Laurie. Nothing more to add other than I love the 'fly by' pictures. Zooming low over those parked up fighters. :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just caught up with this Laurie. You've made a top job of that Walrus. I can only agree with all the others, but I particularly like the paintwork. I'm almost ready to concede that the Walrus wasn't quite so ugly after all :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

L

Laurie

\ said:
Just caught up with this Laurie. You've made a top job of that Walrus. I can only agree with all the others, but I particularly like the paintwork. I'm almost ready to concede that the Walrus wasn't quite so ugly after all :smiling3: Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve that is very kind--- to the Walrus as well. Must have achieved something to get a concession o_O Oh no just realised only almost ready. :rolleyes:

Laurie

B

BigZimmo

Hi Laurie!!! Great build and the airfield scene sets it off. You have worked here with a lot of love for the in-scene-setting.....I like it a lot, well done, mate!!! :smiling3:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just seen this one Laurie and what an outstanding build and great photo's you must be well pleased with it. I know I would be