And another Revell 1:32 Spitfire Mk 22/24

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Ian, trust me, this is a weird kit in places lol.After getting a perfect fit of the internal wing frames, I took a look at the guns and ammo belts and decided there was no way I would get them looking any good so I have taken the frames out (easy as the glue had not set lol) and glued the hatches in place. They are not a great fit either.

Anyway, I now have the upper wings glued to the lower and I have decided to get the 'fillets' fitting to the wing first and then wrestle them to fit to the fuselage as that will be an easier join to sand. Fillet to wing fit is very good so over the weekend, it is down to spraying the interior and getting the fuselage glued up. Hell of a lot of stuff goes inside the fuselage that just will not be seen under any circumstance.

I have built the engine but not yet made my mind up whether to display it or not. Depends how the fit goes I suppose.
Lets be honest here, who didn't fit the fuel tank that sits forward of the instrument panel ? I think I may have forgot to fit this part............................

Regards

Colin M.........

F

Fenlander

I now know what madness is. I have spent he whole afternoon and evening putting the fuselage onto the wings. I was determined not to use that much filler so I decided to use clamps to line bits up, glue a few cm and then wait until it held, move the clamps and repeat. So in total, I have spent 7 hours getting the wings on and the joint isn't too bad.

I am now doing the same to fit the engine covers and upper engine cowling. I have given up on the idea of fitting the engine as, on mine, with the engine between the supports, the side panels would never go on. Not a problem if leaving them off totally for display but I had had enough lol.

On the side panels, the curve cutout that fits to the wing root was leaving a gap n matter what I did so I have shimmed these with plastic card and sanded to fit. I have then glued the side panels to the firewall and the wing root but not to the twisted 'chin'. I have then glued the upper cowling to the firewall only and it is now left to set. Next I will glue the side panels to the upper cowling so that when set, it will form a strong box shape to take the twisted 'chin' held with clamps until it sets. The front of the engine compartment looks a bit like looking into a wind damaged tulip at the moment but I am happy it will be persuaded into shape.

Port wing root

Starboard, still under a bit of 'corrective tension'

The belly joints, big gap at the rear but not a problem

And the nose still needing a bit of work

Still a lot of work with the sanding sticks but I believe the hours coaxing it into position was worth the effort.

I am now off to soak my head in iced water, it will be less painful.................

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well now, it was always my intention to build mine with the engine on display, so it wasn't really a 'cop out' for me not having these panels in place. But looking at the above 'nose on' picture....................Good Lord !! Graham, do you want my unused panels, maybe they will fit better.

Regards

Colin M........

F

Fenlander

Lol naaaa they will fit ok, I will make sure of it :laughing:

B

Bunkerbarge

That's a lot of effort Graham to get this together and the nose shot shows just how much of a struggle you have had. All I can say is that you've got a lot more patience than me, mine would have had a test flight out of an upstairs window long before this stage.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well done Graham. The nose issue was by far the biggest problem I had on mine as well. It really is a hopeless bit of moulding. It looks like you will beat it into shape,you've used a different method to me but it looks good. I honestly never did get mine to be perfect.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

OK, a bit more done. including lots of sanding, messing up the pilots face and a tiny bit of filler.

A bit of Green Stuff to fill this gap at the back of the wing root. I inserted some plastic card then cut and sanded to fill most of it and to strengthen the joint.

The starboard and port wing roots. A bit of Mr Surfacer 500 in one of the joint lines on both sides

And the nose has been coaxed into place but I had to cut the end piece to nearly fit and fill with super glue, still a bit of sanding but it does not show or cause a problem as it is.

Next will be a good coat of primer to finally judge if more sanding and or filling required, I am sure there will be but it does look worse than it feels at the moment.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Top job so far Graham,the wings look to have gone on very well in the end. You know that I know exactly how much fun you've had!

There is a little bit that fits infront of the windsceen which you might want to fit soon as ,guess what,it'll need a bit of filler and it's a bugger if you leave it 'til the end. Dry fit it with the windscreen as I had to "adjust" mine a bit to line everything up.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Thanks for the heads up on that Steve. I have a few bits to finish off before the primer but I had forgotten that bit.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking good Graham, nearly there. That piece Steve mentions, I stuck it to the canopy first and then trial fitted the whole assembley (two parts !) to the fuselage. I found the location on the fueslage a bit iffy, but good on the canopy.

Regards

Colin M......

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Looking good Graham, nearly there. That piece Steve mentions, I stuck it to the canopy first and then trial fitted the whole assembley (two parts !) to the fuselage. I found the location on the fueslage a bit iffy, but good on the canopy. Regards

Colin M......
You were lucky Colin. Mine fitted so badly to the fuselage I had to trim it to fit and then fair it in to the fuselage with putty! The screen butted up quite nicely to it,I used white glue to glue that which fills the little gaps anyway.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Again, a strange part that could have easily been moulded into either the fueslage or canopy ! Matchbox liked to make things tricky. White glue, is that wood glue, PVA ?

Regards

Colin M......

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I would have used Kristal Klear or Gator's Grip depending which was closest to the front of the draw. Both look suspiciously like PVA.

Cheers

Steve