Andrew's 1/72 Airfix FW190 A-8 and F-8 'Wurger Double bill'

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morrison is someone whose opinion always carries a lot of weight, and with good reason.

His point is valid, would the Luftwaffe have employed red 'kennung'/codes and painted red identification markings on aircraft operating against the VVS?

Unfortunately, neither he nor anyone else knows with any certainty and there is no answer to the question, at least with the information now available.

If you go with the suggested red nobody can say that's wrong, but the same applies if you go for blue or, dare I say it, black.

When I made a model of this very aircraft some years ago I went with red.
Eduard show this aircraft as being Blue 2 with a blue nose cowl.

But i prefer it in Red :smiling3:

Steve, Al

Thank you so much for your input much appreciated!

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morning all!

So I made a very small amount of progress at model club on Tuesday evening and have the basics of one of the cockpits together. The good news for Hans and Herman is that, unlike their Airfix 1/72 WWII RAF counterparts, I won't have to chop their feet off to make them fit!

However, most of the time was spent thinking about a way of making the flight stand work, so it can can be removed for storage - something which I think I have done but more about that later

ATB

Andrew

------------------------------------------

'Hans' looking nice and comfortable:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good morning all

So a small update......only three and a half months after the start of this GB over on the other forum. Over the past few months I have managed to get some building done - albeit VERY slowly and then yesterday managed to get down the internal RLM66 colour.

You'll also note from the below that I'm doing both of these wheels up. I've also sprayed the inside of the wings and wheel wells black just to make sure no light seeps through from anywhere.

Oh........and you'll note a fairly large hole in both of the bottom wing/fuselage sections but more about that later!
(rofl)

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
OK chaps....so cockpits finished...despite Airfix instructions doing there best to confuse things by saying you should add the two final parts almost right at the end of the build, when there is no logical reason why the offending parts could not put on at the start - especially as I had already sprayed the cockpits before I discovered the error.

Also pilot's are done. I managed to lose one after I cut him off the sprue for a test dry fit, so had to nick one from another kit.....he's quite a bit larger and had his legs spread out, so I had to dip him in boiling water for a bit before bending them in a bit. I have not spent a lot of time on them, as I know not much will be seen once the canopy is on.

Frustratingly though, a huge amount of work on the cockpit is wasted - even for a plane at this scale it is REALLY bad. A test fit of the cockpit shows that absolutely nothing of the IP etc. will be at all visible.

Finally, what never ceases to amaze me is how many paints you need to even do a simple figure.....it's truly bonkers sometimes....

ACW as usual.

Andrew

----------------------------------------------------------

These were all the paints I used for just three simple figures....and two have the same uniforms! (2x FW 190 and 1x Japanese pilot)

Not my best work but the figures really aren't that good.....plus not much of them will be seen.