andy's 1:24 red tails p-51d

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Andrew. I'll look forwards to this.

Ian M

P

phalinmegob

well finally made a start on this kit and beginning to wish i hadn't. nothing fits together the way it should. awful amounts of flash on it and pins don't fit in locating holes. a nice shiny box but the moulds are stamped as 1972. any way that is enough of a grumble. started with the cockpit as usual and have painted up the pilot to represent LT Spurgeon Ellington. not fitting the engine as i am going to put an electric motor in it and it is easier to loose the engine than fit the motor inside it. there are an awful lot of parts that have to line up inside the fuselage before you can put them together so that should be fun when i get to it, especially as they are both twisted. seat belts out of a bit of masking tape, and i know they are not correct, i just wanted to simulate a seat belt which i have never really bothered to do before. had to cut off the foot pedal assembly from the floor of the cockpit because the pilot would not fit in at all with it in place and i found that preferable to him loosing his feet.View attachment 98650

View attachment 98651

View attachment 98652

View attachment 98653

View attachment 98654

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

D

dubster72

The cockpit & pilot look great Andy! Such a shame these old kits promise so much & fail to deliver :sad:

I bet you'll beat it into shape though :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Lovely work on the pilot and office and I do hope you resolve the fit issues. The top notch progress so far deserves a finished model and I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

Cheers

Paul

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great start. That pilot looks one mean son of a .......................Don't want to mess with him.

First Name
Aaron
Tuskegee right?

I watched an awesome movie about these gents last week.

P

phikoleoputra

\ said:
Tuskegee right?I watched an awesome movie about these gents last week.
What is the name of the movie Aaron? Might watch it too sometime :smiling3:

P

phalinmegob

i got the DVD red tails for Christmas and loved even though its not quite historically accurate, it was the inspiration for this build..

First Name
Adrian
I share your pain on the fit issues, your putting a lot more into it than I have with mine :smiling3:

Watching this build closely :smiling3:

Adrian

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Love the pilot. Far better than I could do.

P

phalinmegob

really cracking on with this now as i get bored of a build quite easily unless i start seeing good progress.thankfully airfix provided a spare part for the motor to sit in as i could not see how i was ever going to fit it inside the kit engine.

View attachment 100051

these tiny swivel pins are never going to work

View attachment 100052

View attachment 100053

if anyone is thinking of getting this kit then dont,its horrible

View attachment 100054

View attachment 100055

View attachment 100056

nothing fits where it is meant too properly but i dont want to sand it all down and lose all the the rivet detail and anyway real aircraft were never that smooth,thats my excuse and i am sticking with it

View attachment 100057

it has had a coat of alclad black gloss base, need a bigger spray booth

View attachment 100058

this is where i am up to as of now,one coat of misted alclad aluminium. will spend the next day or two masking off various panels and doing different shades of alclad.

View attachment 100059

have made a little boo boo, there is no mention at all in the instructions of where to put the slot for the stand, they are no cut outs etc but there was a little plate on one of the sprues which fits the top f the stand. so i glued this to the underside of the plane when half built based on a guess. now the plane is together it is way too far forward on the fuselage. have packed loads of lead in to the nose to try and alter the centre of gravity but cant fit the stand until i have the switch and battery holder and wires in place. dont think it will stand up though,not sure how to slove that one,maybe half a ton of lead on the base .....

IMG_0377[1].jpg

IMG_0386[1].jpg

IMG_0389[1].jpg

IMG_0390[1].jpg

IMG_0467[1].jpg

IMG_0472[1].jpg

IMG_0471[1].jpg

IMG_0477[1].jpg

IMG_0529[1].jpg

First Name
Aaron
I agree this is looking fantastic, pity about the fit and stand issues mate.

First Name
Adrian
If you look at the intake scoop underneath there is a small slot cut into it, this is where the stand fits :smiling3:

Adrian

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
i dont want to sand it all down and lose all the the rivet detail and anyway real aircraft were never that smooth
P-51D's were actually quite smooth with very little surface rivet detail. Wing panels were often filled to further enhance the laminar flow and reduce drag. All the same this is looking very good Adrian, despit ethe kit's issues you are doing a great job.

P

phalinmegob

final update before completion, sprayed six differing shades of alclad. this stuff sprays like a dream but shows every mark underneath off. i have noticed a couple of small fingerprints showing through. View attachment 100810

olive drab sprayed on nose and sprayed the fuel caps red

View attachment 100811

managed to snap a propeller off just by removing a strip of tamiya tape

View attachment 100812

well the red tail has a red tail

View attachment 100813

View attachment 100814

decals added

View attachment 100815

added some shading to the panel lines

View attachment 100816

nearly done