Andys model railway, from the VERY start

A

andyrobs

Hi Guys, well finally I can start what I've wanted to do for a long time, my own model railway layout, and this thread is literally from the very start!!!!

Here's where I'm at, the layout is gonna go in a 8ft x 6ft shed, which up til a couple of days ago was on my allotment which I'm giving up....

View attachment 88648

View attachment 88649

....this has now been took down, moved home and mostly put back up in my garden. Eventually the layout will run round the four sides, with a central operating area. Also Im gonna have some shelves for displaying other builds.

Most of the layout will probably be Hornby, I did have a LOT of stuff which I had to sell a few years ago when I was unemployed, so I'm gonna have to build back up again but here's what I've got at the moment...

View attachment 88650

This will be a long term project which due to work/family/everything else commitments will take a while. Also for all the train purists it'll probably be full of historical/operational construction errors but I male no apologies for It's meant for my enjoyment!!!

So if you wanna follow this one please grab a ticket, find a seat and enjoy the ride, however slow it is!!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

P1010194.JPG

P1010195.JPG

P1010196.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Can I have a window seat in direction of travel please.

Ian M

A

andyrobs

\ said:
Can I have a window seat in direction of travel please.Ian M
Certainly Sir, plenty of empty seats at the moment in both first and second class!!! :smiling3:

Cheers, Andrew

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
This will be a long term project which due to work/family/everything else commitments will take a while. Also for all the train purists it'll probably be full of historical/operational construction errors but I male no apologies for It's meant for my enjoyment!!!
Who cares about errors. As you say "it's for your enjoyment" and so it should be. Not into trains myself but always have respect for those who put time and effort into everything that do, no matter what it is. Good luck :smiling3:

P

Polux

I'm feel really happy for you mate!!!

Build a layout is a dream for more of us ;)

The shed is lovely :rolleyes: so will be an excellent place for the layout, ahhh...I can imagine with the stashes full of models and some train pictures as well! Your train cave :smiling3:

My best wishes and good luck with it!! And remember the important is enjoy! I don't will take much care with the history as well :smiling3:

I will be here mate, don't worry how long will be this project ;)

Polux

PS: on the next month I will return at mine :smiling3: :smiling3:

A

andyrobs

\ said:
The shed is lovely :rolleyes: so will be an excellent place for the layout, ahhh...I can imagine with the stashes full of models and some train pictures as well! Your train cave :smiling3:
Polux, you must have read my mind mate, that's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

First Name
Dave
Ooo I do like a nice layout! I guess it's OO? one thing I'd wish I had done on mine from the start was powered points so that the switch blade would have its own supply from the motor it would have saved me from the constant cleaning trying to get smooth running over the points. I'm in N not sure the same problem exists in OO.

Dave

A

andyrobs

Yup, its OO, great tip about the points, I'm gonna take notes of any advice given, so more help/advice is always welcome!!!

Cheers, Andrew

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice Andrew, for a moment was thinking that was the engine shed, :rolleyes:

so what size are you working with 3 ft x 5ft or bigger ?

and im happy you have found a spot to do it, and the big eventure starts

wishing you all the best with it, ;)

D

Deleted member 3568

I will be along for the ride. I built a layout years ago but life in general put a stop to that(don't have spare rooms when kids appear, those blooming storks have a lot to answer for) can't wait for you to start.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I'll have a ticket as well please Andy...uh oh...that was close, you didn't tell me to 'mind the gap!' o_O

Lee :smiling3:

A

andyrobs

\ said:
I'll have a ticket as well please Andy...uh oh...that was close, you didn't tell me to 'mind the gap!' o_OLee :smiling3:
Blame the guard, that's his job, I'm the station supervisor!!!! :smiling3: :P :P :smiling3:

Cheers, Andrew

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
\ said:
Blame the guard, that's his job, I'm the station supervisor!!!! :smiling3: :P :P :smiling3:Cheers, Andrew
Sack him!
clear.png
clear.png

Lee :smiling3:

First Name
Richard
I will take 1 second class seat please. Hope there is a restaurant car to for my daily refreshments?

Cheers Richi

A

andyrobs

\ said:
I will take 1 second class seat please. Hope there is a restaurant car to for my daily refreshments?Cheers Richi
Oh yes, fully stocked at discount prices!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

S

steve scan

Had to stop railway modelling when I came to Canada, I intend to do one again in the near future but it will have to be small as I do not have the room, so I look forward to seeing this on its journey.

A

andyrobs

I had planned to build it in my loft, but this seems a much easier idea, gives me enough room to work with.

Cheers, Andrew