Ansars on a postcard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
Thanks for the support, glad you like them....
Hi Jon
Again, thanks...yep, they broke the British square. As Kipling said;
Man for man, the fuzzies knocked us ‘oller.....
On to the chaps wearing Jibbeh next...then I can varnish and base the whole unit.
Tim
PS the lads do have shields, but they get put on after varnish so they don’t create shadow areas...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
OK, for those still awake, here comes the jibbeh jabber......not overly pleased with some of these, but they will do fine for the table....
BC9C90C0-E393-4571-914E-BA4F26DBC0ED.jpeg

C76B8ED3-6B97-4A3B-A489-5813854729A0.jpeg
White isn’t the easiest, but these were painted up from grey to ivory....not pure white as I think it is too clinical for the period....
21EE58B8-91F4-4F7B-8F7F-D9F12767DAD1.jpeg
7C2350B6-2B1A-46CD-B1CE-3840FE1FBE4E.jpeg
Diamonds were hard, bad choice LOL. There seems to be no uniformity to the patches, so I basically made it up....at least yellow works on white.
6F34FC71-543E-47F8-A2E2-B121135DD8BD.jpeg
5ED6DFAD-C761-44CE-A142-966BE3251F8F.jpeg
...and the big man and the standard bearer....
Not sure the black turban and sashes work, but the banner will be black so they should match it....
Gloss varnish next, then matting down and finishing the metals before basing....
Hope they find favour....
Sorry about the pics but I used the iPad instead of a camera..
Cheers
Tim

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Jibbeh jabbers look very good Tim. There's one in our local museum - the Manchesters in Ashton- along with quite a few other bits and bats.Handy.Your patterns and colours look great.
How many of these chaps have you done now?
Jon.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Jon
Now up to sixteen. With the rules I am going to use that is one unit...need to do about four times that number plus the Brits to have a battle though :tongue-out3:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Sorry for missing your fine work before Tim, they look great especially the faces and skin tones.:thumb2:
Thank you for the size explanations as the photo's make them look a lot bigger.:smiling:

Fernando

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Fernando
Thanks for the compliment. Glad you like them...hopefully the sand bases will set off the clothing....
Cheers
Tim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Still wide awake Tim.
Great painting, and colours.
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
Thanks for the support, I always like to keep my audience riveted.....(guess the film if you like, nothing to do with British Colonials)
Cheers
Tim

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You lot are no help...I’ve just noticed I need to do the necklace on the flag waver....Dohh!!!

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tim

Very nice, I would say very Mary Quant if you remember the 60's. I just bought some 28mm figures to have a go at having seen your guys. Victrix are very nice.

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
I think Victrix are at least as good as the Perry stuff. If you remember the old place my Napoleonic British foot artillery were Victrix. Very expressive faces.... which ones did you get? Gripping Beast are also supposed to be good....don’t like Warlord as much, they look a little cartoonish.
Thanks for the comment by the way, You’ll enjoy the little lads, but remember the scale and don’t try to get everything in, it’ll drive you mad....
Agree ref Mary Q, especially the two guys in the long smocks. Don’t think she sold spears though....
Cheers
Tim

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tim
I ordered these guys for the old MM desert group build. They took a while to get delivered and then the golf season has intervened. I will get to them soon to see if I can build a little dio.

elephants.jpg

John

D

Deleted member 6559

Great work Tim, very colourful and beautifully painted.

I like the story of the Jibbeh. Originally a patched and worn mendicant's tunic, the patches became formalized when the garments were made as new and adopted by the mahdists.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
Nice choice. They have been well reviewed so it will be nice to see what you make of them....
Hi Peter
Thanks for the support, not sure how formal the patches were, there are loads of pictures around and they all look different...I would say they got more complex as time went on though....
Finishing basing work today, so may have some final shots later today or tomorrow...
Cheers
Tim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well here you go then
Ansars on a postcard....
P1040426.jpg
I bought the postcard in downtown Omdurman, but as English was not their first language it seems they couldn't spell "Weren't".....
Then again, it might have been me :tired:
I'll put together some better photographs next weekend and put them in a finished build thread....I quite like them, but think my sand basing is a bit yellow...
Cheers
Tim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Love it Tim .
Great job :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
John .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado