any hints please on sanding putty on models

G

Gerbzilla

Well hope i doing this rite well after I filled in some gaps on the models I have been sanding the putty down with wax on the paper seems fine to me will this cause any problems with the paint ?

I just going throught the learning at the moment but I am finding more ways as I go along ...

I am realy enjoying building models now but glad to ere hints as i go along

F

Fenlander

I have been sanding the putty down with wax on the paper
Have to say I am not sure what this means. Why would you have wax on , I assume, sandpaper? If you literally do have wax on the sandpaper, then yes, you may have a problem if you are rubbing wax onto the surface of the model as paint will not stick to it.

The best for sanding has to be proper sanding sticks and sponges. These are usually washable so last for ages and can be used wet or dry which help get the finish really nice.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your meaning.

G

Gerbzilla

\ said:
Have to say I am not sure what this means. Why would you have wax on , I assume, sandpaper? If you literally do have wax on the sandpaper, then yes, you may have a problem if you are rubbing wax onto the surface of the model as paint will not stick to it.The best for sanding has to be proper sanding sticks and sponges. These are usually washable so last for ages and can be used wet or dry which help get the finish really nice.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your meaning.
Yes was putting wax on sand paper mate sorry if i put it wrong

P

Paul1978

Wow, wax on sandpaper. That's a method i've never heard of but might try it some time - just stick my finger in my ear and away we go :smiling3: ))

Basically for sanding putty, of course wait until it's rock hard. I do dry and wet sanding. Dry sanding gets all the excess putty off and then wet sanding ie me gobbing on the paper, cleans the mess up a bit. In all honesty it depends where you're applying putty. If between the fuselage of a plane, then it's fairly straight forward but on the body of a 1/35 figure, it might be difficult.

Cheers

Paul

F

Fenlander

No Gerbzilla, you didn't put it wrong, it is just a method I have never heard of. I do think though that you will have to do a thorough clean up afterwards to ensure there is no wax left on the models surface as it will stop the paint sticking.

G

Gerbzilla

thanks got it sorted now well only a beginner owell we all need to start somewhere lol cheers